Mower deck scag check engine light codes

scotth

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I have a turf tiger that runs bad and smokes black. I get a check engine light but cant find anyplace that will tell me what the code means. Two long one short. Thx Scott

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't need a code to tell me that your engine is running way too rich. You don't tell us the make and model of the engine, so the first thing I would check is to see if it changes when you remove the air filter. It may be just old and clogged.

scotth

Forum Newbie
Threads
H My tiger has a Kawasaki fuel injected FD791D Tried it w/o air cleaner ran the same, removed plugs and they were very black but not fouled

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Wet black or dry black. Dry black indicates carbon build up due to rich fuel mixture. Wet black would indicate oil mixing with the fuel.

scotth

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would say dry black, exh pipe is also coated in dry black

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would it is either your sensor or the electronic control unit. I am also sorry to say I don't know how to test either one.

scotth

Forum Newbie
Threads
I FOUND A REPAIR MANUAL AND THE CODE COMES BACK TO A VACCUM PRESURE SENSOR

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Vacuum sensor and other sensors are used to vary the fuel flow to the fuel injectors either electronically or mechanically by changing the fuel pressure at the injectors. The vacuum varies as the load on the engine varies.:biggrin:
Frankly I prefer carbs on small engines, less electronics to deal with, but some commercial operators are sold on EFI.

Last edited:

jmack

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a scag out-front mower stt61v-26dfi that shuts off after running for about 20 minutes, when it shuts off it quits pumping fuel. it has a flashing code two green dots fast and two green dots slow. I called a dealer who said it was probably the speed sensor. has anyone ever had this issue and if so where is the speed sensor located.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just a note after fussing with several fuel injected cars. The fault code is 21 and that form of fault code dates back to the 1980's. It is known as a semafore, if I am right. The first group of dashes is short with a pause and them a longer series of dashes. With the GM units you have a table which lists a number of sources of the fault code. Before you replace the vac sensor look for wiring and connector problems , including a broken or loose ground return, often serving several devices. Keep looking for that manual which should exist giving total coverage.

Edit. I reread that your blink codes are backwards, first number long dashes, second number short. Same end result

Last edited: