Water butt

littleAudrey

Threads
What do you think of the idea of a water butt or even a couple depending how many drainpipes your home has? We have one butt and it's really handy to use the rainwater collected for watering large areas like the lawn in times of drought.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
They use to be at almost all the old farmhouses in Kansas, they were called cisterns ... and usually had pumps with small buckets on chains that you cranked to bring the water up from large collection rooms/tanks under ground....

They were very practical before deep wells came along... :smile:KennyV

linda4

Threads
I think this is a great idea particularly if you live in an area that is drought common, such as parts of the midwest or southwest

Mr.McGinty

Threads
I agree that this is a nice idea. It's something many of us can do to save a little water, even if we don't have drought conditions. I think these wooden ones are nicer to look at than the plastic type.

Smartaleck

Threads
The wooden ones look really nice but they are so much more expensive than the plastic ones so I think I'll just stick to the plastic one I bought from my local council. In any case ours is round the back of the house so can't be seen and black matches the trimmings on the house better than wood.