Troy Bilt mower B&S engine - won't stay running

larksys

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took the carb off and cleaned it with carb cleaner. I removed the jet and float and cleaned the bowl also. I put it back together and it ran for about 2 minutes. It sound like dirty fuel but I cleaned that out also and put in fresh gas.

Lawnranger

Threads
You are either losing spark or fuel and will have to determine which one is missing. To check for fuel I have a can of carburetor cleaner ready to spray directly into the carburetor (air filter removed) and when the engine starts to die I start spraying short blasts. If the engine continues to run on carburetor cleaner then you know you have a fuel problem and will have to dig deeper. Checking for spark is simple and youtube has some good videos to show you how.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you clean the main jet, which is part if the float bowl bolt?

chance123

Threads
I took the carb off and cleaned it with carb cleaner. I removed the jet and float and cleaned the bowl also. I put it back together and it ran for about 2 minutes. It sound like dirty fuel but I cleaned that out also and put in fresh gas.

Do you have the engine numbers? (Model, Type, and Code) Some of the old Briggs engines have a brass float that often times fail (leak). If it ran for 2 minutes before dying, that's a long time, and is more time needed to use just the fuel in the float bowl. Use the process of elimination. Is the fuel free flowing out of the fuel line that goes into the carb? Does it have a fuel pump?