Tufftork K46 Transmission problems??

canlis

Forum Newbie
Threads
Has anyone experienced any transmission problems with the Tufftork K46 transmission on any of your lawn tractors? I'm thinking about buying a Snapper NXT2346 Model:2690847(23hp,46") for $1999 which has this transmission. However, in past discussions on this forum, I thought there were some issues with this transmission. Please comment. Thanks

Jimmyjo

Threads
I have a Snapper L200 (same as Simplicity Regent) with 145hrs on it and no problems yet. I think most of the problems come from over use. I mean pulling more weight or doing something above the limit of it's specifications. Keep in mind that it's in a yard tractor not a garden tractor.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Tuff Torq K46 is probably the most common box fitted to lawn and garden tractors.

The usual problems is not being able to drive up hills due to the seals with the piston pumps being worn.

Sometimes a oil change helps and make sure the drive belt is tight at all times but if drive problems usually its a new Box.

Threads
I have another rideon mower in my workshop today with a snapped axle it must be the 10th or 12th axle i've replaced in the past 4 years (some machines both axles have been done at different times)
the machines are a localy made product called Kingcat Cheetah, a rear engine machine with a fabricated 40, 42,or 46 inch decks, now these machines have been built in this country for years & have a reputation for being built tough & long lasting (the term built like a battleship keeps coming to mind.) for years they were built with small cutter decks & single cyl Briggs engines with Peerless 800 series or mst 205 trans - with no problems, then about 4 or 5 years ago the company changed hands & someone thaught lets make these even better, keep the same chassis put big beefy cutter decks underneath, bolt on a Honda gxv 530, add a electric clutch, wider rear tyres & have it all rolling with Tuff torq K46 plus the weight of the operator which puts the total weight over 300kgs.
every time a axle has snapped it has always been at the end of where the key groove has been machined, which sits well inside the wheel hub, all breakages happen just after the 300 hr mark,
company that makes them dosn't really want to know, i've also sent a few e-mails to Tuff torq u.s.a. but have never had a reply, we just tell the customers that it's just wear'n'tear & they have to pay.
We also sell plenty of Husqvarna machines which have the same trans & have never had a breakage.

ricky52

Forum Newbie
Threads
Go tractorbynet.com ,they had good thread on this trans repair ,and where to by parts.

brandt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Go tractorbynet.com ,they had good thread on this trans repair ,and where to by parts.

Well thanks for the Info: I have a craftsman 5500 Monster tractor Series, That I Just found out is a Glorified Lawn Tractor, Not the Garden Tractor I Thought I Was Buying! The Sears Rep Said It is a Good GARDEN Tractor and should last 10 to 12 Years, Well after 120 Hrs the Hydr unit went Out! No Warranty Left! I got Hood winked and Ripped Off By SEARS, To no Avail Sears will not Help Nor Do they care about Misleading the Consumers into thinking they are Buying a Garden Tractor, Hell it Looks Like ONE! And Sears said it would be big enough to mow my one and half acres. Kept Excellent Up Keep on it, Cleaned it after Every Use and Stored it Indoors, It was my Baby! It's A PIECE OF JUNK! Thanks HUSQVARNA You Manufacture Them and Installed The Lower Grade Hydr Unit In THem! Tuff Torq is Innocent in this I Talked to them, They Say These Companies Do This All The Time! So Sears You Got Me This Time! Not Anymore Business From Me Or Some of My Family Members! Now I Know Why Your Company Is Having Problems, You GUYS Use To Be A Reputable Company! Your Not Anymore! Very Rude! So Stay Away From Sears Lawn & Garden Units, They Don't Back There Product!

Kerinorg

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have another rideon mower in my workshop today with a snapped axle it must be the 10th or 12th axle i've replaced in the past 4 years (some machines both axles have been done at different times)
the machines are a localy made product called Kingcat Cheetah, a rear engine machine with a fabricated 40, 42,or 46 inch decks, now these machines have been built in this country for years & have a reputation for being built tough & long lasting (the term built like a battleship keeps coming to mind.) for years they were built with small cutter decks & single cyl Briggs engines with Peerless 800 series or mst 205 trans - with no problems, then about 4 or 5 years ago the company changed hands & someone thaught lets make these even better, keep the same chassis put big beefy cutter decks underneath, bolt on a Honda gxv 530, add a electric clutch, wider rear tyres & have it all rolling with Tuff torq K46 plus the weight of the operator which puts the total weight over 300kgs.
every time a axle has snapped it has always been at the end of where the key groove has been machined, which sits well inside the wheel hub, all breakages happen just after the 300 hr mark,
company that makes them dosn't really want to know, i've also sent a few e-mails to Tuff torq u.s.a. but have never had a reply, we just tell the customers that it's just wear'n'tear & they have to pay.
We also sell plenty of Husqvarna machines which have the same trans & have never had a breakage.

Hi 066,

Very interesting posting about the Kingcat Cheetah as I am looking at buying a second hand one. Based on your experience. the axles seem to need be re-designed for the stresses.

Can you tell me approx. how much replacing an axle would cost and whether the parts are easy to get?

And also, have you had any experience of a replaced axle only lasting another 300 hours before breaking again?

cheers

Threads
Hi, I had another breakage back in January which was only after 40hrs after it was last replaced but it was due to an extra weight issue, so these machines can't handle extra load/weight.
parts so far have been easy to get, price of around $500 for labour, oil, axle, sealant ect...
what part of the country are you in?

Kerinorg

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I had another breakage back in January which was only after 40hrs after it was last replaced but it was due to an extra weight issue, so these machines can't handle extra load/weight.
parts so far have been easy to get, price of around $500 for labour, oil, axle, sealant ect...
what part of the country are you in?

I'm in Kerikeri. I was looking at buying a second hand Kingcat with a 48inch mower deck. But based on what you have experienced (which seems to be a clear design flaw with the bigger decks, I have instead bought myself an older 32 inch model. It was cheaper too so thanks for the advice. Hope it goes well for a few years.

Threads
I havent had any trouble with mine yet at 181 hrs. I hate the purge procedure you have to go through though.