Craftsman Freewheel control is connected but doesn't engage xmissison

wiz

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman Freewheel control is connected but doesn't engage xmissison
Hi. The transmission of my 50 hour old Craftsman YT3000 21HP 46" suddenly disengaged while I was in mid mow of my 2 acre lawn. The Freewheel control is still attached, but doesn't have any resistance across it's whole range and just moves freely (previously I felt something 'engage' in when I pushed the Freewheel control in). Although it's hard to tell, It seems that there is some fluid around the base of what I assume is the transmission pan. When I try to push the mower, there is some resistance - like the FW control is still engaged somewhat. Would this be the symptom if I leaked transmission fluid? I've done regular maintenance, but the manual says nothing about transmission fluid. Does the YT3000 have a sealed transmission? Mine is a 21/46" Electric Start Automatic transmission model# 917.28924. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

harryset

Threads
Follow the linkage down to where it attaches to the transmission. All this rod does is to push in the button on the bypass valve. The bypass valve button may be gunked up and need to be cleaned, oil it, clean around it, push it in and it should pop out freely. The rod itself just kind of sits loosely with a small cotter pin keeping it from coming down and pushing on the bypass valve.

Check for leaks. You may have a bad seal. And as far as fluid, most of these that I've seen simply use engine oil, not transmission fluid of any kind. I think I have plain old 30weight in mine, not sure.

I wish I had of found this forum a couple of years ago.

comlinked

Forum Newbie
Threads
As far as I know
The trans does have a breather hole on the top of the trans. you have to carefully pry it off . It is made of rubber and will usually come off easily leaving the hard rubber portion behind. Pry that out carefully and reseat the soft rubber cap back on it and set it aside. Make sure the area around the breather was carefully cleaned so no dirt gets into the trans. fill the trans with 10/ 60 synthetic motor oil to within 1 1/2 inches from the top. Reset the breather by pushing it back on. You may be able to access the breather by taking out the battery box or you may be able to take the back pull plate off or you may have to take the trans out of the machine depending on the configuration of the tractor. When reassembled and filled it is a good idea to purge the tractor trans.