917.377591 mower engine hesitates/engine rev's cycles/oscillates up down

induray

Threads
  • / 917.377591 mower engine hesitates/engine rev's cycles/oscillates up down
Irecently rebuilt the carburetor, and a while ago replaced the solid state ignition of a Tecumseh 6.75 HP engine. The problem is that now it is moderately hard to start. After it starts, the engine cycles up and down until it warms up(engine rev's oscillates up and down). The power seems a little bit low.

Any suggestions???

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You need to clean the carb again. This time make sure that both the high speed jet and the idle jet is clean and clear in both directions. The high speed jet is built into the float bowl nut. The idle jet is located on the side of the carb, under a plastic cover. This jet is extremely small, and is probably plugged. I use either the retaining wire from a float needle or raid my wife's sewing kit for a very fine needle. Make sure that when you spray carb cleaner into the ends you see it coming out the side ports.

induray

Threads
You need to clean the carb again. This time make sure that both the high speed jet and the idle jet is clean and clear in both directions. The high speed jet is built into the float bowl nut. The idle jet is located on the side of the carb, under a plastic cover. This jet is extremely small, and is probably plugged. I use either the retaining wire from a float needle or raid my wife's sewing kit for a very fine needle. Make sure that when you spray carb cleaner into the ends you see it coming out the side ports.

Thanks Rivets. Have you experienced this? I want to be sure before I proceed?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think so. I taught engine repair for 30+ years and have worked in repair shops for over 25. I don't remember everything at my age, but I think I have done these steps a couple of time. I also know that there is no harm in asking this question. :laughing::laughing::eek: good luck

induray

Threads
I think so. I taught engine repair for 30+ years and have worked in repair shops for over 25. I don't remember everything at my age, but I think I have done these steps a couple of time. I also know that there is no harm in asking this question. :laughing::laughing::eek: good luck

Do I have to remove the welch plug again? I remember going(Cleaning and using pressure air) thorougly thru the idle mixing well because if I didn't do it right the first time, I would have to buy another plug. Is a Tec Vector Carb.
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/tecumseh_vector_carb.asp

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No, please post the model numbers of the engine and I'll see if I can find pictures to help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, I thought you had a different carb. When you cleaned the carb, did you install a new carb kit? I know Tecumseh changed the main nozzle in their rebuild kits a few years ago. If you didn't install a new kit I suggest you do so.

induray

Threads
Sorry, I thought you had a different carb. When you cleaned the carb, did you install a new carb kit? I know Tecumseh changed the main nozzle in their rebuild kits a few years ago. If you didn't install a new kit I suggest you do so.

Yes I did. I replaced the the emulsion tube, o-ring and sprint and bowl gasket, and other parts.I replaced the air cleaner body with the primer bulb. I did a full overhaul! See my past thread under Induray.

I will try recleaning the carb again.

Question..Does the governor has to do with adjusting the engine's rev??

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm willing to bet that you did not get the tube tightly fitted down when you installed it. I don't like this design and it has happened to me more times than I like to admit.
The governor controls the top engine speed. Normally has nothing to do with surging, unless it is set too high.