MTD Yard Machine jumps out of gear on a pull

MLBurton

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a older MTD Yard Machine that will jump out of gear on a pull, when this happens it throws the belt off. I was told that it could be a bad pulley so I replace the belt and pulley with new. I mowed about 3 times with no problems, the last time I mowed I could not keep a belt on, every time I came to a hill or put the mower on a pull, it would throw the belt and jump out of gear. I could put the belt back on and go to take off and it would throw it right back off, if I pushed the mower to a flat spot, I could go until I put it on a pull again and it would jump out. I ahte to scrap it becauise everything else works fine, any ideas greatly appreciated?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Either on the front or on the front corners there is a transmission support bracket. Make sure that the bolts haven't came out and allowing the tranny to tilt in the frame. The tilting changes the angle on the tranny enough to through the belt off.

chance123

Threads
Just the fact that you were able to easily put the belt back on leads me to think the belt guides are out of adjustment or missing. These belt guides are there to prevent the belt from coming off under load and even no load.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
My belt guides need to be snugged up during the cutting season - rough yard - keeping the tractor parked with the brake on when the floor is level - belts do stretch - very common with the new cub cadets .