What improvemnents to make to 2002 lawnboy silver pro series 6.5hp Duraforce

1972Formula400

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / What improvemnents to make to 2002 lawnboy silver pro series 6.5hp Duraforce
Hello, I just inherited my dads 2002 lawnboy silver pro series with the 6.5hp Duraforce engine. He bought it new in 2003 and I use to mow with it all the time when I still lived at home. I inherited it when I moved into my house this past month. All I can say is that I love the mower. Love 2 strokes. My questions are: What improvements can be done to increase performance, longgevity, and efficiency? We always ran the Lawnboy ashless 2cycle oil. I now can no longer get it in town, no one carries it anymore. I was thinking about switching to amsoil. What ratio should I run? Should I get the Saber 100:1? Thanks

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / What improvemnents to make to 2002 lawnboy silver pro series 6.5hp Duraforce
I wouldn't go as high as 100:1. It might be OK but it's risky, IMO. I have several Lawn-Boys of the age that they're rated for 32:1 but I use Poulan 2-cycle oil at 50:1. The technology of 2-cycle oil has improved quite a bit in the last few decades and one result is that you can use a higher ratio without any harm to the engine -- if anything it's actually better because there's less clogging around the exhaust ports.

Other improvements? You could add an inline fuel filter if it doesn't have one. The kind I'm talking about has a male tubing fitting (1/4") on each side and fits in the middle of the fuel line. The ones I like are clear plastic and disposable when they get dirty.

earthworm

Threads
I'd run synthetic at 50 to one.....erring down to 40 to one...
Check your tank, there may be a filter there from the factory.
Good luck and enjoy...:thumbsup:

1972Formula400

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just gave her a good wash down and clean up last night, I am going to get a shutoff valve and inline fuel filter also. Any synthetic brands you guys reccomend? It also has the slight surge that I have been reading about. Think I may rejet soon. Any part #'s and prices for some jets that will be larger and that will just screw in place of the stockers in case I would ever need to change the carb back to stock? Thanks

earthworm

Threads
Re: What improvemnents to make to 2002 LawnBoy silver pro series 6.5hp Duraforce

I just gave her a good wash down and clean up last night, I am going to get a shutoff valve and inline fuel filter also. Any synthetic brands you guys recommend? It also has the slight surge that I have been reading about. Think I may rejet soon. Any part #'s and prices for some jets that will be larger and that will just screw in place of the stockers in case I would ever need to change the carb back to stock? Thanks

Good for noticing this "slight surge"..
This may be due to low fuel pressure - check the lines and filter(s)....or a speck of dirt in a jet. Just clean...I think there are jet cleaners on the market....I use drill bits sometimes....or a wire.
At Volkswagen, we renewed many accelerator pump jets, I guess a new one was cheaper than cleaning the old......