Learning curve on riding tractors/mowers

Rose

Threads
I am doing a great deal of research on buying a riding mower/tractor for my new farm. I read on a web site, not related to John Deere, the following

"The John Deere farm tractor is known as one of the easiest brands to learn to operate and one the longest lasting."

Could I have the thoughts for my more experienced forum members please?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are many factors involved in making those decisions. Size of property - flat, steep, or both - What do you plan to use it for - is there a good dealer who will reliably service it if needed - how YOU feel on the tractor and using the controls - (for me Made in USA is a factor) - reputation - how long do you expect it to last -- MANY other things I'm probably not thinking of.

Some people swear by one brand or another. Maybe talk to someone who is local and has similar property and uses the tractor like you intend to use yours ????

adan

Threads
John Deere's good! It was the brand of the first tractor I operated. If you know how to drive, you can definitely operate one. Just get used to the rugged terrain. Then start thinking of imaginary straight lines ahead of you that you need to follow. Lastly, feel blessed that to stop the tractor, all you have to do is release the accelerator :)

Georgian

Threads
John Deere is the type my brother has. He gave me a few quick lessons. I found it very easy to drive. But part of that, I think, is that I do not drive a car, so I didn't have to unlearn a bunch of stuff, before I learned new stuff. I think it might be a little more confusing for a car driver, as there are so many things one does automatically, that you now have to think about.

kelly5

Threads
I've had a John Deere riding mower for a number of years. Multiple models and each one of them has been easy to learn to use and very reliable. So I believe what you've read is true.

Driller

Threads
That's not what we have right now but I agree with those who have said that different brands are for different people. Try it out, if you can. At the very least, sit on it for a while and work the controls as much as possible to get an idea.

nobot

Threads
If you want ease of use, get one with a hydrostatic transmission. You pay a bit more, but it's worth it. May be slightly less reliable than one with a gear transmission, but the ease of use - especially if you're mowing with it or having to do a lot of forward/backward maneuvering - is well worth it.

One of the things I found when I owned John Deere tractors (lost them by divorce) was the fact that their dealers are everywhere, their products are easy to work on and maintain, and all parts are readily available. If my dealer didn't stock a part, he could have it the next day, most of the time. If you're not into doing your own repairs and maintenance, the dealership will do it for you - mine would even come on-site to pick up equipment.

As long as you perform the scheduled maintenance, I would say it's very common for one to last 10 years, and with care you could probably get 25 years out of one. Be prepared to pay a premium price, don't choose from the cheapest product line, and I think it's unlikely you'll go wrong. it's an investment that will pay for itself in the long run.