Troy Bilt mower starting problems

Strider

Forum Newbie
Threads
I started off this spring with fuel leaking from the carb and out of the air filter anytime I left the fuel switch on. I took the carb apart but couldn't see a problem. I assumed the float pin was not sealing off the fuel flow, so I replaced the carb and put on a clean air filter. It stopped the fuel leaking but it still wouldn't start, so I replaced the spark plug. Now I can get it started if I duct tape the choke on, let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then plug the rope 30-40 times to before it will start! (I had to do the same thing last year to start it and keep it running) Then I have to keep the choke on for at least another 5-10 minutes before it will stay running. Once it's warmed up it runs fine and will restart.

Any ideas what could be wrong with it???

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you renew replace the gasket(s) seals between the carb and engine, and the choke isn't working right if you have to tape it up before it would start. You should never need to keep a choke on for five or ten minutes.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You don't say what type of engine. If you have a Briggs, you need to clean the jet. It is built into the float bowl nut. Make sure it is clean and clear both horizontally and vertically. If you have a Tecumseh you will do the same, but they have a second jet on the side of the carb, covered by a plastic cap. This one also needs a good cleaning. The jets are very small a you will need a piece of very fine stiff wire. Spray carb cleaner in them to make sure they are clear when finished.

Strider

Forum Newbie
Threads
No, I did not replace the gaskets, they are like new.

It has a Honda engine.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
You say its a Honda but you don't say what type/model No....! that would be help us here to know what you are looking at there........

Strider

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is a Troy Built mower, with Honda GCV160LA engine.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Clean the carb and check the valve clearance

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 8

chance123

Threads
Try removing your float bowl and run a tag wire up into the carb. Run your wire (and carb spray) up the threads that the float bowl is secured by. The main jet is in there. Or,,, if you are very careful, you can unscrew the main jet, but it is made out of brass and very soft. I would just go with the tag wire and spray CC in it and you will be able to see the spray in the throat of the carb