Different type of cracked block on Kohler Courage single 20.

possum

Threads
  • / Different type of cracked block on Kohler Courage single 20.
Saw it on the bench at my dealer today. Two cracks in the block on the side opposite the valve cover. Bout an inch long, right in the middle, about an inch apart. A dent from the inside out with a crack in it. Engine would start and run but lots of tapping. Three hours on the engine. Dealer sold the lawn tractor with it new to a fellow a few blocks away. He said it would be three weeks until the Kohler rep was in the area to decide what to do with it. No small wonder guys get mad. What are you supposed to do for three or four weeks with out your lawnmower?

Lawnranger

Threads
What are you supposed to do for three or four weeks with out your lawnmower?

I've often heard that same response and can only think to myself "don't you have any friends, are you a hermit, are you so bad at building relationships that no one wants to associate with you, don't you have any family members that live in the area, did you get into a fight with all you neighbors, are you completely broke that you can't pay a lawn service once or twice, are you too proud to ask for help etc., etc., etc,??????????

Sheesh people, if one of my friend's mowers broke down I would offer to go over and cut his grass myself and not charge him. We all need favors sometimes and you never know when it will be your turn. I have such a difficult time believing that loss of use of your lawnmower would put a person in such a tail spin that it causes this kind of emotional trauma. Suppose your car breaks down and the shop has to order parts which adds another four days without your car. What do you do??? Call a friend to borrow a spare car, maybe rent a car for a short time? This isn't rocket science folks. Seriously, you can't answer the question "What are you supposed to do for three or four weeks with out your lawnmower?" You can't ask to borrow a lawnmower from a friend, relative or neighbor???

Possum, please know and understand that my above statements are in no way, shape or form directed at you. Like I said, I'm utterly amazed at how rational, intelligent human beings that come up with solutions for just about every other problem that life throws at them EXCEPT for the problem of what am I supposed to do for three or four weeks with out my lawnmower?

End rant.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Saw it on the bench at my dealer today. Two cracks in the block on the side opposite the valve cover. Bout an inch long, right in the middle, about an inch apart. A dent from the inside out with a crack in it. Engine would start and run but lots of tapping. Three hours on the engine. Dealer sold the lawn tractor with it new to a fellow a few blocks away. He said it would be three weeks until the Kohler rep was in the area to decide what to do with it. No small wonder guys get mad. What are you supposed to do for three or four weeks with out your lawnmower?
So the dealer has no back bone or authority at all to make this right and everyone unanimously always says "buy from a dealer". I say BS.

Dealer says wait 3 weeks for a rep. knowing full well it will be at least 5 weeks to possibly never.

So cut them a little slack Vern, and the rep. shows in 3 weeks. Now he doesn't have any authority either and must turn in a report to headquarters for them to ponder over for possibly 6 weeks or more.

"No small wonder guys get mad".

But just try to discuss this type of -- what if scenario -- with a dealer before you hand over your credit card or check and see how fast the dealer can drop you like a hot potato and usher you out the door.

So people wonder why the box stores are so popular? This is an excellent example. This fellow would possibly have a new mower the same day or a full refund at a box store.

Last edited:

scott47429

Threads
im not sure he would have had a new mower from a big box store either yeah i know a lady that bought a new husqvarna ZTR from lowes and had it lass then a week and it mowed uneven so that brought her a brand new mower rather then send a repairman out to look at it but at the same time these big box stares will do that up to a point if the mower is so many weeks or months old there going to tell you call the repair hot line on your warranty papers and they will set you a appointment and send someone out to look at it or you will need to have it picked up and taken to a service center then your going to be right in the same boat once its at the service center there still going to have to wait on the rep to come and make the decision on what to do so there is no advantage to buying at a big box store other then you will get a cheaper price and worse service

bbrown

Forum Newbie
Threads
Geez. I didn't think the OP was really looking for an answer.

Many lawn service guys don't want to mow just a few times....and if they do, you'd probably get overcharged because they know they can.

It does bring up a good discussion of why people might buy from dealers. I remember as a kid the local lawn mower repair guy had a few loaners and you could use that while waiting for parts or repair to yours. Not always riders, but he always had something for you within a few days if not right away. The BigBox place doesn't have loaners. But then again, I don't know of any dealers that do either these days except for small towns...<5k pop.

chance123

Threads
I have seen this over and over with these new engines especially the Kohler Courage. Everything from the 2 plastic cam gears to the weak construction of the case itself. Kohler used to be bullet proof, but "that" was then.