mower turns over...kinda

chance123

Threads
I do smell fuel in the cylinder, but how do I get it out? And I will check the starter again

You get it out by simply cranking the engine with the spk plgs removed

Raymond

Forum Newbie
Threads
since it's old, engine valve might have to be adjusted. your engine symptoms happen to mine and I wasted a lot of money for repair. It recurred and I don't want to spend money again.I watched "how to adjust mower valve" on YOU TUBE.. i saved a lot of money. It wasn't too bad .. Good Luck

Kfred92

Threads
So after reading I've discover to believe it's te valves that are out of adjustment. Only problem is it's not a OHV engine and I can't find any how to videos for adjusting the valves. It's a 12.5 hp Briggs and stratton I/c engine. I believe it's the valves because a gentlemen on here told me to crank it over without the plug in. Flywheel spins perfectly with plug out. But locks up with it in. Thanks

Kfred92

Threads
Also what should they be adjusted too?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you do the test with the jumper cables?
We have a few on here that blame the valves for every thing.

Your battery and or starter is week

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
In reference to removing fuel from cylinder

You get it out by simply cranking the engine with the spk plgs removed

I really wish people would stop suggesting that you remove the fuel from the cylinder by CRANKING THE ENGINE WITH THE SPARK PLUGS REMOVED.

Everybody thinks it is a really good idea until you expel fuel and the static electric lights the vapors, and goes off in a fireball.

And yes I am talking from experience. Did that to a mower sitting on my landscape trailer, had the spark plug in my hand, plug wire from six inches from anything conductive. First crank sprayed fuel on spark plug hole, and down on trailer, second crank sprayed more fuel over mower and trailer. Third crank lite it. If I hadn't had a fire extinquisher in the truck would have lost the mower and the trailer.

Either use compressed air to dry cylinder or remove plug and let is dry out on its own. Do Not Crank Engine To Remove Fuel From Cylinder.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads

I really wish people would stop suggesting that you remove the fuel from the cylinder by CRANKING THE ENGINE WITH THE SPARK PLUGS REMOVED.

Everybody thinks it is a really good idea until you expel fuel and the static electric lights the vapors, and goes off in a fireball.

And yes I am talking from experience. Did that to a mower sitting on my landscape trailer, had the spark plug in my hand, plug wire from six inches from anything conductive. First crank sprayed fuel on spark plug hole, and down on trailer, second crank sprayed more fuel over mower and trailer. Third crank lite it. If I hadn't had a fire extinquisher in the truck would have lost the mower and the trailer.

Either use compressed air to dry cylinder or remove plug and let is dry out on its own. Do Not Crank Engine To Remove Fuel From Cylinder.
Aw Heck, go ahead and do it the easy way with the starter but try grounding the mag first. :biggrin:

chance123

Threads

Point well taken and yes caution should be taken. In your case especially being on a trailer with possible other equipment, after the first crank with "that" much fuel spraying out of the cylinder, I'm sure you wished you hadn't cranked it a second and third time LOL Reminds me of when I shorted out a large 6v golf cart battery while on a charger and it blew up in my face. LOL

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The fuel in the cylinder was due to float bounce while being hauled down a rough road or two. That was the last time I cranked an engine with fuel in the cylinder. I take that back, I took the plug out of a push mower and grounded the plug wire to the little spark plug wire clip made into the throttle plate, and cranked the engine and blew burning fuel about 5 feet out of the spark plug hole.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
ILENGINE said:
The fuel in the cylinder was due to float bounce while being hauled down a rough road or two. That was the last time I cranked an engine with fuel in the cylinder. I take that back, I took the plug out of a push mower and grounded the plug wire to the little spark plug wire clip made into the throttle plate, and cranked the engine and blew burning fuel about 5 feet out of the spark plug hole.

It's funny to watch some one do this
Was not fun when I did to a snapper in my garage my wife and friend just stood there while I was running for the hose
Was lucky did not even melt a wire

Sent from my iPhone using LMF