mower turns over...kinda

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok so you put the jumper cables on just like you where jump starting a car.
Leave the - side hooked up and touch the + side to the starter

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Kfred92

Threads
I'll give it a try, is this to test the load?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
This will tell if your starter is bad. Or if you Are not getting all the power to the starter that it needs.

Madraven45

Threads
have an old mower with a 12.5 Briggs engine. Hasn't ran in years. Went to start it and will start To turn over, but then the flywheel locks up- ( engine doesn't crank) but if I manually spin the flywheel free and try again the engine will crank (these cranks aren't hard enough or spining enough for it to turn over and start. I'm wondering is the solenoid bad? Is the starter bad? If it's the solenoid can you rebuild it? Any other thoughts? Battery is fully charged and in good working order. I know it's electric if were talking about starting. Thanks

Hey, I had the same problem I think, I sprayed the plastic bendix on the starter with just a shot of WD-40 because it kept sticking in the engaged position. That cured it for my old Murray .

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Madraven45

Threads
have an old mower with a 12.5 Briggs engine. Hasn't ran in years. Went to start it and will start To turn over, but then the flywheel locks up- ( engine doesn't crank) but if I manually spin the flywheel free and try again the engine will crank (these cranks aren't hard enough or spining enough for it to turn over and start. I'm wondering is the solenoid bad? Is the starter bad? If it's the solenoid can you rebuild it? Any other thoughts? Battery is fully charged and in good working order. I know it's electric if were talking about starting. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Kfred92

Threads
Okay great I'll give it a shot and let you know

Kfred92

Threads
I just want to make sure I do it right, so I would hook positive cable from charger to starter and leave negative on the battery? I have feeling I'm doing it wrong.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Jump it from your car - to - + from car to starter post on mower

chance123

Threads
see if it cranks WITHOUT the spk plgs. If you checked out everything else, you might have fuel in the cyl from possible float needle not seating. This causes hydraulic lock up. You can't compress liquid.

Kfred92

Threads
I do smell fuel in the cylinder, but how do I get it out? And I will check the starter again