B&S engine seized. Short block, whole new engine...or new tractor???

caseyinGA

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / B&S engine seized. Short block, whole new engine...or new tractor???
We have a Husqvara 42" lawn tractor (YTH18542) with a Briggs & Stratton OHV engine. It's 7 yrs old with 200 hrs on it.

We've had no problems with it until last week. The engine clanked a couple times then quit in a cloud of smoke. The shop says we can go with a short block for $800, a new engine for $1200, or give us a hundred off buying a new tractor using our current one as a trade in.

At first we thought to just get a new tractor but when we looked at the new models under 2 grand they no longer have a PTO, hour meter, or ammeter and we like those features. We are also thinking the quality of the new tractors isn't as high as what we've got.. at least in the under 2G category.

So now we're thinking to have ours repaired...maybe. What would you experts say we do? Is it worth spending that much on a 7 yr old/200 hr tractor? If it is, should we go the short block or new engine option?? Or just buy a whole new tractor??

chance123

Threads
Personally, I would go with a short blk. The newer engines today are not made like they used to be. So,, if you get a new engine, or a new tractor, you "still" have that same new engine. If you can get a "NOS" replacement engine, thats a different story,, Grab it!

caseyinGA

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. "NOS" replacement engine...is "New Old Stock" correct? Which means an old engine that is unused I assume?

chance123

Threads
Thanks for the reply. "NOS" replacement engine...is "New Old Stock" correct? Which means an old engine that is unused I assume?

That is correct. It's a new engine manufactured years ago that was never yet sold. There are no doubt many sitting unopened on a shelf somewhere. With the knowledge you now a days possess as to preventive maintainence, it should/could out live the machine.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
We have a Husqvara 42" lawn tractor (YTH18542) with a Briggs & Stratton OHV engine. It's 7 yrs old with 200 hrs on it.

The shop says we can go with a short block for $800, a new engine for $1200, or give us a hundred off buying a new tractor using our current one as a trade in.

I could do a 27hp briggs twin intek for less than that. Just replaced a 16hp briggs with a 17.5hp last week for $529 plus tax.

The price seems excessive unless you have a Vanguard and then it would be a little closer to what they quoted.

Prest989

Forum Newbie
Threads
How much have you spent on other issues recently? Spindles wearing out, is the deck rusted, are you breaking belts very frequently? If everything else on the mower is in excellent condition, I'd recommend a new replacement engine. New engines include a 2 year warranty, shortblocks include a 90 day warranty assuming it was installed correctly. If the mower has had some issues in the past, or the deck, bearings or spindles are in need of replacement, I would pick up something new.

caseyinGA

Forum Newbie
Threads
We've had no problems at all with the tractor and it's in excellent shape Prest989...no rust, no belt probs etc. Been a dream machine for us :smile:

And to ILENGINE...sure wish you lived down our way at that price! I don't have the model of the engine we have (it's at the shop so can't check, and didn't write it into the manual) but it is a 17.5HP OHV

Still haven't decided which way to go...more comments welcomed!

LakeRat1

Threads
caseyinGA. if you are handy with tools you can do this swap much cheaper that the Shop, remember they have to make some money Plus pay the man doing the work, i see a 17.5 HP - B&S in the Nothern tool Cat. listed for $ 529, also see a 21 hp B& S for 549, dont know if this is your engine or not, but you can surf around and fine what you need, if you have a ew tools, this is not a hard swap, also you might check with Jacks small engine, i would sure do some checking, before i layed out my hard earned money

LakeRat1

Grassbandit

Threads
I would replace the engine, if the rest of it is working just fine and in good condition then keep it.
The trade in offer isnt that great. But you can search ebay for a replacement tractor engine and it won't nearly cost 800-1200 for an IC Cast Iron block.
If you're not too mechanically savvy, buy the engine and take it to the shop and let them install it.
Briggs Vanguard series are really costly but they're worth every penny. So if you do want to shell out that much money make sure you're getting a Vanguard Series engine.:cool:

scott47429

Threads
I would look into a short block also as long as the rest of the mower is in good shape it will be alot cheaper and you will still have the mower you have come to love