Toro with 6.75 Tecumseh won't start

rlemoine

Threads
I have a Toro 22" Model 20076 recycler mower. Just changed the plug, air filter, and primer bulb. Had trouble starting before, but it did start after fighting with it. That was why I changed this stuff. Now it won't start at all. Any suggestions? Oh, the gas does not have any water in it.

chance123

Threads
You must have changed your primer bulb for a reason. When you removed the old one, did you clean all the old rubber out? Also, that retaining ring that secures it to the carb, must be even all around. This has been the source of many headaches for me. As a test, if it starts with a shot of carb spray, once it is running, spray carb spray around the primer bulb and notice if there is any change in engine speed. I am assuming you have the primer bulb of the closed/sealed type. Some have a small hole/vent. One type pushes the fuel, and the other sucks the fuel

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Clean the high speed and idle jets. The high speed is part of the bowl nut and the idle is on the side of the carb. It has a black plastic cap over it. Should solve your problems, just make sure the the jets are clean both horizontally and vertically.

rlemoine

Threads
I did a little more checking. I'm NOT getting any spark. Tried 2 different plugs. A new one and one from another mower. I cleaned the magnets, coil bars, and wire tab. None of this made any difference. So, I just broke down and ordered a new magneto.
I hope this works. Not too keen on Tecumseh engines anymore.
Thank you for all your advice.

chance123

Threads
Did you check the kill switch just above the carb where the linkage is? There should be a small wire with a spade terminal on it. Pull that terminal off and see if you have spark. This will eliminate a possible kill switch problem and tell you if your ign coil is working. Better yet, pull the small wire off of the coil itself and this will eliminate a possible shorted wire.

rlemoine

Threads
I cleaned the jets and pulled the wire from the bottom of the mag to disable the kill system. Still no spark.
Should have the new magneto on Thursday.
Thank you for your suggestions.