How to kill brambles?

Smartaleck

Threads
I have discovered a load of brambles at the bottom of my back garden. At the moment they are beyond the lawn, behind a wooden fence in a fairly neglected part of the garden but, if I leave them, they will eventually encroach on the lawn. What's the best way to kill them?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm sure that chemical herbicide would kill them... or cover them with something dark so they get no sunlight.
I'm not sure that mowing them will discourage their spread.
Other than the thorns they are a nice flowering plant... I would keep them around in a 'controlled' area just for the berries... :smile:KennyV

Attachments

• IMG_0620.jpg
    IMG_0620.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0619.jpg
    IMG_0619.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 13

kelly5

Threads
I think your best bet is to chop them away and then give the area a good dose of a product called RoundUp. I've used it on brambles and it's probably the best product on the market for this problem.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think your best bet is to chop them away and then give the area a good dose of a product called RoundUp. I've used it on brambles and it's probably the best product on the market for this problem.

If you are using roundup... use as the directions ... Do not cut back before applying... It needs the plant to carry that particular herbicide to the roots... :smile:KennyV

Harriet

Threads
Brambles are real tough customers. Round Up is also my suggestion. Because brambles are so tough and hardy, it may well take you more than one application.

Smartaleck

Threads
Thanks for the advice. I believe I tried Roundup once before and I seem to recall that it did work so I'll try it again. Short of getting a flamethrower to them I can't think what else to use, and, yes the berries can be tasty but there's too much risk of finding a maggot to get my wife interested!