EDGING WITH A WEEDWACKER QUESTION!

Threads
I don't have an edger (yet!:laughing:) so I "edge" with a weedwacker. I do it by holding it sideways. But I see some people holding it upside down. Which way is better.....advantages???? Pics of both ways are attached:
SIDEWAYS: DSCN8685.jpg
UPSIDE DOWN: DSCN8687.jpg

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
First it drives me crazy to see some one edge like this sometimes I just want to stop and help them.
But I have done it before and works better upside down and I feel it's ok like in the pics to use on a bed but NOT to edge the drive or walk way.
If you hold it upside down you can control it better and not make the path so wide.
I have Seen guys edge a drive with a weedeater and leave a 3 inch gap between the grass and driveway

Some say they like how it looks and is faster so this is just my thinking not saying right or wrong

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Lawnranger

Threads
I have been edging with a weedwacker for years and have always had good results but I sure go through a lot more line using it for this purpose. I held mine sideways and was able to get a good looking edge on the grass but it never really got far down like an edger does. Recently I purchased an Echo PAS 230 with several attachments including a straight shaft edger. After using the edger for the second time I will not go back to using a weedeater for edging as there is just no comparison. The first time I used the edger I didn't tell my wife and when she pulled in the driveway and got out of the car she mentioned that the "grass" looked so much better this time and wondered what I did different. I never had a problem getting a straight, good-looking edge with the weedeater but the edger gets down below the surface and gives it that manicured look. As far as which way to hold the machine is better depends on the particular style weedeater you have and how comfortable it is for you to hold in that position. If you get better results holding it sideways the by all means hold it sideways and if you get better results holding it upside down then by all means hold it upside down. The end result is what matters.

Threads
I have been edging with a weedwacker for years and have always had good results but I sure go through a lot more line using it for this purpose. I held mine sideways and was able to get a good looking edge on the grass but it never really got far down like an edger does. Recently I purchased an Echo PAS 230 with several attachments including a straight shaft edger. After using the edger for the second time I will not go back to using a weedeater for edging as there is just no comparison. The first time I used the edger I didn't tell my wife and when she pulled in the driveway and got out of the car she mentioned that the "grass" looked so much better this time and wondered what I did different. I never had a problem getting a straight, good-looking edge with the weedeater but the edger gets down below the surface and gives it that manicured look. As far as which way to hold the machine is better depends on the particular style weedeater you have and how comfortable it is for you to hold in that position. If you get better results holding it sideways the by all means hold it sideways and if you get better results holding it upside down then by all means hold it upside down. The end result is what matters.

My next piece of equipment is definitely going to be an edger!! So you can use an edger for redefining mulch beds too? Or just along the road?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I use a edger on the mulch or flower beds. You can dig a nice trench with a flat head shovel then keep it clean with the edger. Helps keep the mulch in the bed. Or pine straw that they use down here why I do not know

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Lawnranger

Threads
My next piece of equipment is definitely going to be an edger!! So you can use an edger for redefining mulch beds too? Or just along the road?

Absolutely! Before Echo came out with their Bed Redefiner, they had videos showing how to use the edger for the same purpose. The edger works quite well but the Bed Redefiner takes it to the next level by leaving a 45 degree on the bed side which makes the edge "pop out" even more. The Bed Redefiner certainly is nice but just not my cup of tea.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use a push edger do get a proper edge. then hold the weed eater upside down to maintain this way it looks like an edger blade did it. If you hold it sideways you get a tapered edge and thats gross. Straight down 90 degree angle this method also works on asphault bed edging of all forms.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't do much edging but when I have to I hold the weedwacker which ever way it doesn't throw grass cuttings, sticks, gravel, rocks, sand and SANDBURS in my direction.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't do much edging but when I have to I hold the weedwacker which ever way it doesn't throw grass cuttings, sticks, gravel, rocks, sand and SANDBURS in my direction.

If you edge with a weedeater you have to get use to it i find that if i hold the weedeater upside down keep the guard parallel with my face and keep the string spinning at a 90 degree angle and hold with the head to my left and the enging at my right and walk backward ( the ONLY time i ever walk backwards)
It will limit the amount i get hit in my face wear safety glasses because you still will get hit. if your trying so hard not to get hit you will not get a nice edge. You get used to it