Briggs Vanguard V-twin 14 hp mower stalls after 1-4 seconds

vanguard

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs Vanguard V-twin 14 hp mower stalls after 1-4 seconds
i have a woods ZTR mower powered by a briggs v-twin Vanguard 14hp motor. it started running rough then stalled. It will start perfect and run for 1-3 seconds then sputter and stall. Then if you restart it will do it over and over again. I replaced the 3 hose fuel pump, fuel filter and all 1/4 fuel lines. It is still doing it!! what could it be? PLUS now after the new pump it will barely run in low throttle. if you take carb cleaner ans spray a small amount in tjhe carb it will keep running this leads me to think its fuel delivery not electrical. The fuel pump it a 3 nipple square style mikuni made in Japan. Gas cap off makes no difference. PLEASE HELP!!

Grassbandit

Threads
Sounds to me like you need to clean the carburetor and the fuel tank thoroughly. Use fresh gas when you refill it.
Also, check the wires going to the bowl, make sure none of the insulation has melted through and replace if necessary.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not only clean, but install a new needle and seat as long as you have it apart.

chance123

Threads
A way to identify the problem quickly is, we know the problem is fuel related, so if you have an old mower fuel tank or some other way to feed fuel into the engine, Remove the fuel line from the carb. Take your external fuel supply (ie: old tank with 10" of fuel line attached) connect "that" fuel line to your carb and raise that fuel supply above the carb. See if it runs off of the gravity feed fuel supply. By using the process of elimination, if it "does" run, you know the carb is OK, and you eliminate it. If it "did" run, you "should" have also seen fuel pumping out of you machine's fuel supply, but probably not. the next process of elimintaion, would be the fuel pump, then fuel filter, fuel petcock, fuel tank