B&S 15.5hp flooding

Electech2000

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2004 Murray with a B&S 15.5hp engine that ran out of gas, after refueling the mower would not start. It smelled as if it was flooded so I checked the oil and it had gas in it. Replaced oil, cleaned carb and installed a shut off valve on the gas line. Mower now starts, runs a few min. then dies as if its flooded again. Any help will be appreciated.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 2004 Murray with a B&S 15.5hp engine that ran out of gas, after refueling the mower would not start. It smelled as if it was flooded so I checked the oil and it had gas in it. Replaced oil, cleaned carb and installed a shut off valve on the gas line. Mower now starts, runs a few min. then dies as if its flooded again. Any help will be appreciated.
Try dropping the float out and determine if it will actually float or some that are hollow will have gasoline inside when they fail just enough to cause problems of that nature. And while the needle valve is out look at the valve seat with a mirror for debris and if you have one available run a pipe cleaner in the seat opening with a little cleaner applied to dislodge anything that shouldn't be there.

A fuel filter is a good idea and every few years new gas lines are sometimes a plus.

After the float is installed check its operation with very light pressure to see if it will stop gravity gas flow when you turn the valve back on.

chance123

Threads
Sometimes, just to get you through a job, tapping the side of the carb will dislodge anything that might cause the float needle to not seat.

Electech2000

Forum Newbie
Threads

Thanks for all the help so far but nothing is working but I would like to note this new information:
I removed the fuel solenoid from the bottom of the carb and its getting the voltage required to operate it but it doesn't move, it appears to be in the down postion.

chance123

Threads
Thanks for all the help so far but nothing is working but I would like to note this new information:
I removed the fuel solenoid from the bottom of the carb and its getting the voltage required to operate it but it doesn't move, it appears to be in the down postion.

There's your problem. When it's in the carb, you "should" hear a click sound when turning the key on.