Zero turn or not?

LANDSCAPER34

Threads
Do you think a zero turn is better than a regular ride in mower? Why do you think that one is better?

scott47429

Threads
It just depends on what kind of ground you are mowing but yes i think ZTRs are way better then a regular tractor type mower there so much faster turn so much easer alot more fun to ride LOL and a better cut

MBTRAC

Threads
ZT's are generally much quicker once you become accustomed to the controls, especially if there are lots of obstacles like trees & garden beds to mow around & reach further under shrubs/overhanging plants.

Tractor type mowers are in some ways easier/more intuitive to operate & are more stable in operation on steeper terrain - they'll also be happier hauling a trailer & will pull other implements or push a blade (none of which a ZT is really designed to do...)

The ride/handling of each is a little different, as is maintenance (e.g. ZT have the motor behind the cut which generally means more cleaning of air fiters & if fitted radiator screens etc..), deck removal, storage....etc.. ..these all come down to personal preference.

As to which ones better ? Neither really, it's "horses for course" - I'd have a ZT every time in the right conditions & if all I wanted to do is mow, but I now only run tractor types because of added versatility/undulating terrain.....

fireman gus

Threads
We love our ZTR's. Will never run anything else. Much quicker so more wore can be accomplished during the day. Probably more maintenance involved but that is needed on all machines.

Perry

Threads
Or Not.

I've used a ZT mower only once and I didn't like it.
I was (de facto) comparing it to a Toro 70" Pro. The
Toro only required one lazy arm steering effort; two
was an option but not mandatory.

The ZT required constant tension (muscle use) of
two arms, all the time. Put me right off . . .

txzrider

Threads
ZT for me as I will never need any other equiptment. I do pull a small golf cart trailer or cart with it from time to time around the house as well as my cyclone rake. I have also had much better luck not scalping my lawn in turns. I did have to learn to turn corners with the zt so that both wheels are always moving. An yes since the lap bars (or joy stick in my mowers case) also controls the direction an speed over the ground you will need to constantly engage the bars. A lawn tractor can be a much more mindless activity to mow as you can set the throttle and speed and let her rip! I enjoy mowing much more with our ZT and it is much faster.