Neuton Battery Powered mower

knutt38

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a yard <acre and bought the C6 which is the larger of the 2 mower offerings. I have had mine now this is the 3rd summer. Would love to hear from some others with the C5 or C6 or any battery powered mower. Pretty good experience so far, battery life is my only concern...

Jeff the Knutt in Bham, Al USA

Rpeter1

Threads
Have a Black and Decker
Replaced the battery after about 5 years. The battery will tell you when it is time to replace.

It got to where I could only mow for about 10 minutes. Changed the battery and I am back to mowing both mine and my neighbors yard on one charge.

patches

Threads
I always avoided battery mowers because I didn't think they would be that good. You've made them sound like they are a lot better than I thought. How do they compare with gas powered mowers in terms of power and cutting goes?

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
I've only used one battery-powered piece of equipment and that was a trimmer. I found the power to be adequate for grass trimming but battery life was the biggest issue. If you have 15-20 minutes of trimming to do, it's fine. But after that you either have to swap batteries or stop trimming. Without a doubt I think the #1 issue in people's minds when considering battery powered lawn care equipment is battery life.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have a Black and Decker
Replaced the battery after about 5 years. The battery will tell you when it is time to replace.

It got to where I could only mow for about 10 minutes. Changed the battery and I am back to mowing both mine and my neighbors yard on one charge.

Can you remember the cost of the new battery? Not that I'm in the market -- just curious.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
...Without a doubt I think the #1 issue in people's minds when considering battery powered lawn care equipment is battery life.

With battery powered equipment, the portable power, hand held battery types are many. With some lasting a very short time...
But with the larger heavier wheeled equipment, like mowers, you will usually find a deep cycle, lead acid battery... They have been proven for many decades to be very reliable and long lasting ... the Neuton Battery is a lead acid and will typically have a 4 year + life cycle, and then is almost 100% recyclable ...
:smile:KennyV

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
With battery powered equipment, the portable power, hand held battery types are many. With some lasting a very short time...
But with the larger heavier wheeled equipment, like mowers, you will usually find a deep cycle, lead acid battery... They have been proven for many decades to be very reliable and long lasting ... the Neuton Battery is a lead acid and will typically have a 4 year + life cycle, and then is almost 100% recyclable ...
:smile:KennyV

The lead acid battery is considerably less expensive than a Li-Ion battery but it has a few disadvantages including more weight and "memory" (a lead acid battery will "remember" being left in a discharged state which will decrease battery life).

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The lead acid battery is considerably less expensive than a Li-Ion battery but it has a few disadvantages including more weight and "memory" (a lead acid battery will "remember" being left in a discharged state which will decrease battery life).

In some cases the added weight is an advantage...
the memory of short cycling a battery is common to nickel cadmium, not lead acid... there are some things that can be done to shorten a deep cycle battery, but regular care will prevent the most common...
and again on a wheeled piece of gear the additional weight is often not a problem...
For their lighter weight nickel metal hydride or Lithium-ion are good... but costly, as motors intended for this type application improve, it may be more economical to use these more exotic batteries...:smile:KennyV

Willyvon

Threads
I always avoided battery mowers because I didn't think they would be that good. You've made them sound like they are a lot better than I thought. How do they compare with gas powered mowers in terms of power and cutting goes?
My 7 y/o Neuton EM 4.1 (definitely not a new model) was the best investment I had ever made in yard equipment. I'd never go back to gas powered equipment ! The only thing is that for a few years the electrical connection for the trimmer attachment (it went through the edging like a hot knife through butter as much because of their unique cord design) which I keep failing to attempt troubleshooting. There's a relay for drive current transfer I'm guessing has failed inside the mower. I've been using my B&D battery powered trimmer since then. I'm working on a new blade design that might increase cutting efficiency by as much as 20%. The change should transfer to any rotary mower blade. The Neuton is a perfect test platform for it.

Willyvon

Threads
My 7 y/o Neuton EM 4.1 (definitely not a new model) was the best investment I had ever made in yard equipment. I'd never go back to gas powered equipment ! The only thing is that for a few years the electrical connection for the trimmer attachment (it went through the edging like a hot knife through butter as much because of their unique cord design) which I keep failing to attempt troubleshooting. There's a relay for drive current transfer I'm guessing has failed inside the mower. I've been using my B&D battery powered trimmer since then. I'm working on a new blade design that might increase cutting efficiency by as much as 20%. The change should transfer to any rotary mower blade. The Neuton is a perfect test platform for it.
I would recommend anyone considering battery electrics to check out Recharge Mower - Recharege Ultralite Push Mower That battery looks REALLY light and easy to handle though replacement a bit pricey. I've found replacement individual batteries that cost only ~$50 per battery pack for my Neuton. I have found these batteries(replacement in the packs) just about the easiest I've ever had to install. I'm in my 3rd year of retirement from being a biomedical engineering tech for the local VA Hospital so I've done a bunch of different battery replacements in my time. Of course they changed the pack design ~5 years ago and I have yet to change the batteries in the 1 I have of that design. It's needed now.