Blade belt keeps coming off

Scottyboy

Threads
I have a 05 Wildcat with a 61" deck. This year the blade belt jumps off "sometimes" when I engage the blades. It is especially bad when the rpm is low. Mower, blades run fine when the belt stays on.

Here's what I have done so far.
Changed idler spring
Changed blades and belt
Bearings get greased regular and have oiled all 3 additional pulleys.
Under deck has been cleaned.
Checked level on deck.

I changed out my clutch last year and gap was good. Any ideas. The blade spindles spin smooth, could it be one of the pulleys, they appear and sound o.k.

Steve0853

Threads
This same problem drove me crazy with an old Cub Cadet tractor style mower several years ago.

I finally diagnosed the problem as a bent or warped deck pulley. When I replaced that, the problem went away.

Everytime the pulley threw the belt off, the belt was ruined. That was about $50 down the drain each time. Talk about bringing tears to my eyes.

Scottyboy

Threads
May try to take them off and lay em on the bench to see if there warped.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Turn them round on the deck and see if there is any unusual movement.

You could fit deck belt retaining pins to deck where pulleys are and on pto clutch.
Should stop belt coming off.
Had a few and tried new belts and pul.leys but only fixed it by fitting pins

chn

Threads
This just happened to me a few weeks ago. It seems like everything I touch breaks. The riding mower made 3-4 good passes and then the belt came off. I had no luck getting it to run anymore after putting the belt back on 2 more times. I took it out in the driveway and I saw that the deck pulley was warped. I used a zero turn for like 2 passes and the battery and something else gave on me. In the end, I did not finish that one yard.:eek:

Scottyboy

Threads
The belt stays on the clutch. Always comes off the right spindle. I bought my new belt from a belt store, its not kevlar. Maybe, the belt has streched a little. Called my Scag dealer and they ordered me one, so I'll try that.

Good ideas about the pins. How did you put them on, tack em on ? What did you use for pins? Has anybody had any trouble with after market belts?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If I had a pay check I'd bet it that your mower has an idler pulley bracket that's allowing the idler pulley to become out of alignment with the other pulleys.

But if I lost that bet I wouldn't be loosing much since I don't get a pay check.:biggrin:

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bolts, threaded rod or straight bar cut to lenght.
Weld or bolt.
Just depends how it looks before fitting.

Scottyboy

Threads
Well i got my new belt from the scag dealer. Belt is a lot stiffer than the after market I bought. Put it on and no problems with 10 starts. I guess the other belt was the wrong application.

Paid ~ $80 bucks for the belt and saw where I can get them on line cheaper. Hopefully I won't need one for another 5 or 6 years.

Thanks for all the replies.