Old Fashioned Manual Mower

Green Girl

Threads
Does anyone ever use one of those old fashioned push mowers? I think they are great if you don't have a huge area to maintain. What I really like is no noise!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
What I really like is no noise!

You are right about no noise...
But they do make a rather unique sound... I have not used a push type Reel mower in decades...I did regularly back in the mid 50's ...
I have a toro gang set that I occasionally pull with my tractor, Just to hear them ... :smile:KennyV

rekees

Threads
no noise, air pollution, oil or gas ... back to the future :smile:

noma

Threads
Green Girl

Yes i have some in my shed about 12 or so i like to go to auctions and a lot of time they are at auctions and they don't usually go for much so i pick them up pretty cheap a lot of times . Yes i like them .but i don't use them have to much to mow.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
We had one when I was a kid. I can't see one being very efficient on some of the new grasses down south. Kind of difficult to sharpen too.
I remember pushing and pulling so you cut about 24" at a stroke, maybe less, good workout.
About 16 years ago I was visiting a friend in Montana who used it to cut his grass, he lived in town and had a very small lawn looked like rye grass to me. It would probably be the thing for rye grass.

pollyannasmum

Threads
The man next door to us has one and uses it on the thin strips of grass between his flower beds. It's quite cute to hear it. We also have a man with a little van who comes around from time to time and offers to sharpen mower blades and garden tools- very handy.

MowTown

Threads
My grandfather used one when I was a kid. He had a pretty big yard----was an avid gardener. I remember when I was 6 he gave me permission to use it in his yard. I loved being able to help him, and he loved that he could keep me busy an know that I couldn't get hurt.

adan

Threads
Yeah, it's noiseless in the sense you don't hear any motor running. It does have a sound of its own, which can sound cute. Being a manual thing, it can be tiring to use especially in a hot summer day. But it's still better than hedge shears, which is the more popular thing in my place :)

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does anyone ever use one of those old fashioned push mowers? I think they are great if you don't have a huge area to maintain. What I really like is no noise!

I saw one for sale at the local Goodwill store the other day....$19.95. It was some oddball brand from a store like Harbor Freight. I do think Lowes and Home Depot still sell them though. Recall using one as a kid, push a few feet, back up, get a running start to go another few feet, etc.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
JRecall using one as a kid said:
That's the same technique I perfected back in the 50's :laughing:...

I have since learned freshly sharpened blades make that type mower much easier to use. :smile:KennyV