murray lawn mower briggs stratton engine only starts and runs on str fluid or wd40

Mrspicy

Threads
  • / murray lawn mower briggs stratton engine only starts and runs on str fluid or wd40
Got a mower that looks like its been pretty abused tryed to get it running but it never stays running. its a Murry with a 5hp b&s engine throttless carb. so far triedNew gas, cleaned tank, cleaned and rebuilt carb, new air filter, new spark plug, changed oil, but will not start unless starter fluid/wd40/carb cleaner or if gas is dumped into carb but then dies, although will run consistantly with wd4o sprayed continously into carb. Any ideas?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / murray lawn mower briggs stratton engine only starts and runs on str fluid or wd40
Post the engine model numbers.

timtractor

Threads
I would say that you have a restriction in where the fuel is deliverd to the carb.

Mrspicy

Threads
model#225112x92A
serial#7530729431av485

I have checked there is gas going through the gas line, could there be somewhere else it could be restricted. -Thanks

chance123

Threads
Does the carb sit on top of the fuel tank?

Mrspicy

Threads
The carb is mounted slightly below the gas tank to the side. I think i forgot to mention this is a walk behind push mower with the pretty much standard engine/carb set up the b&s engines have.

chance123

Threads
model#225112x92A
serial#7530729431av485

These are the numbers on the engine? There are numbers under the words "Model, Type, and Code" Usually, but not always on the engine housing/shroud. Some overhead valve engines have these numbers on the valve/rocker cover

Mrspicy

Threads
yeah the model number was just off the mower deck. when i get a chance to tear down the mower i will look for the other numbers on the engine.

Mrspicy

Threads
So i found where the numbers would be on the shroud but unfortunately they are too rusted to read. Dont know if it helps but the mower was made in oct 2003.

cmj3169

Forum Newbie
Threads
This mower probably has a diaphragm carb. Your best bet is to buy a diaphragm kit from Lowe's part #495770.You need to remove the pickup tube and clean it out then remove the choke plate just pull it out with pliers then pull out the choke shaft. Now you can see the main jet so take the screen off the jet then take a flat head screw driver and pop the jet out and clean it.Spray the whole carb body with carb cleaner just make sure not to get the primer,if it's old you might as well replace that as well.Now reassemble it the kit comes with a new screen filter,spring and gasket and diaphragm and instructions.Hope this helps you.