Scag zero turn Kohler 18hp Magnum

RaulMcCai

Threads
The underpowered model
http://www.scag.com/OpManuals/SSZ/95SSZOPMAN/95SSZOPMANcomplete.pdf

Does any one know where the oil sensor is?
The nanual shows it tucked arey insife the declivity by the oil level dip stick port.
http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/52_590_03.pdf
Page 4

However I can not find the sensor there.

The oil drain is on the other side of the engine from the n manual's description and drains down through a plate steel engine mount VIA a plumbing Ell
The oil filter is outboard on an angle bracket unlike the manual's photo.

I simply can not find it. I've run my hand all around the base of the engine where one might be and can't find a wire ore the sensor.

Yet I know I have one because there is a sender unit somewhere that kills the spark when the oil is too low or too high or too hot and runny.

Anyone know where it was hidden?

This is my mower

P8210081.jpg

P8210086.jpg

P8210083.jpg

P8210082.jpg

P8210080.jpg

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As said in your other thread not all Magnums have an oil sensor. If you do have one it will either be installed on the right side of the bracket for the oil filter hoses or behind the oil dipstick tube. I'm suspecting that with the remote filter, you probably don't have one.

RaulMcCai

Threads
I like your "you probably don't have one" solution except that the facts are:
1.) When the oil is too high I get no spark.
2.) When the oil is too low I get no spark.

Now what would do that except some kind of level sensor? While I'm wildly open to any suggestions, eager and desirous of suggestions even - - - I'm stuck with the conclusion that there is a sensor - somewhere.

And of course it seems that no matter what oil I use I am getting no spark after the engine is good and hot like after 30 minutes of mowing.

I have hanged the oil this season to use 20 - 40 sae, then drained it and put straight 30 weight in and even tried 20 - 50 .
I am still getting shut down when it's hot. The oil is runny as hell and splashes up the dipstick.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have never seen a oil level sensor on a Kohler. They use a pressure sensor screwed into the oil filter mount, Sounds more like a ignition module going loopy after it gets hot. Maybe a safety switch shorting out someplace, or an intermittent bad connection that just happens to correspond with the oil being too high or too low.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I like your "you probably don't have one" solution except that the facts are:
1.) When the oil is too high I get no spark.
2.) When the oil is too low I get no spark.

Now what would do that except some kind of level sensor? While I'm wildly open to any suggestions, eager and desirous of suggestions even - - - I'm stuck with the conclusion that there is a sensor - somewhere.

And of course it seems that no matter what oil I use I am getting no spark after the engine is good and hot like after 30 minutes of mowing.

I have hanged the oil this season to use 20 - 40 sae, then drained it and put straight 30 weight in and even tried 20 - 50 .
I am still getting shut down when it's hot. The oil is runny as hell and splashes up the dipstick.

Why does the oil get so high...?
Why is the oil so runny...?
why is it splashing up the dipstick..?
And is that oil on the cover just below the carb on the photo...?
And does it smoke when its running...?

RaulMcCai

Threads
Why does the oil get so high...?
Because the Doofus with the oil can over poured.

Why is the oil so runny...?
It's the store brand from the Advance Autoparts - - think that's the reason?

why is it splashing up the dipstick..?
I'd guess because it's so runny.
My crankcase camera is on the frammitz so I don't have a video of what's happening in there.

And is that oil on the cover just below the carb on the photo...?
If it is, it's from me being sloppy.
The way I remove oil without draining it is VIA a large poly syringe and some vinyl tubing.
I remove oil when the doofus with the oil can over-pours. Also when I'm trying to add a heavier oil to see if a little heavier stuff solves the problem.

And does it smoke when its running...?

Not a smidgeon not a bit.

Starts right up when cold.

Prest989

Forum Newbie
Threads
Follow your wiring harness, if you have an in lone sensor, it connects to the harness. I'm of the notion you have an ignition break down from your coils, not a sensor.

RaulMcCai

Threads
I'm of the notion you have an ignition break down from your coils, not a sensor.

It's got an electronic ignition. So I'm unsure what that might look like.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It's got an electronic ignition. So I'm unsure what that might look like.

I think he is refering the the electronic ignition module located under the blower housing. some people refer to them as coils. Some of the old K series engines had a coil similar to the oil auto coils, and is a very similar engine to the Magnum engine.

RaulMcCai

Threads
Last edited: