Mower deck Can I install bigger wheels to raise the blades? (Snapper Riding Mower)

mizpea

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Can I install bigger wheels to raise the blades? (Snapper Riding Mower)
Hello Mowers: A month ago I bought a used Snapper Riding Mower from Bender's Mowers in Pinellas Park, FL. The manual says that at the highest setting it should mow at a 4 inch height, but I'm only getting 2 and 1/2 inches. (I'm 56 years old and have years of experience with St. Augustine lawns, which I believe should be cut between 3 and 1/2 and 4 inches.) After adjusting the deck as high as it could go, the place I bought it from is now uninterested in my issue with the mowing height. So, I'm thinking I should buy and install bigger wheels on the mower. Has anyone else ever tried this? The mower is a Snapper 301014BE.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...

Before you buy larger wheels/tires...
Check that you have the right blade on the deck, (someone may have put an offset blade on it).
Also check the lift hangers & linkage, could be something bent or cobbled preventing the lift from working in it's full range...
If all else fails, and everything checks out, larger wheels & tires will give you more clearance IF you have the needed space to mount them... :smile:KennyV

fastback

Threads
I agree with Kenny, if it is surposed to cut at a 4 inch height it should be able to so it. If you can't find anything wrong call the mower representative ask him to intervine. The dealer should be able to adjust it right.

Paulz2821

Threads
on my new mower. it s a walk behind. there were adjustments hieghts on the rear of the deck. it came factory in the middle. i had to lower the deck one hole and that actually made it higher. also underneath the deck. the blades should have adjustments as well.

mizpea

Forum Newbie
Threads
The dealer said he raised everything as high as it could go. BTW, what is an "offset blade?" Thanks!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Some blades are flat, mounting hole at the same height as the cutting edge...
Off set will have the mounting point raised above the cutting edge... :smile:KennyV