john deere 420 starter problems

jakes

Threads
I have a john deere 420 that when you try to start it I have to turn the switch several times before it will start. Normally I will try it about 2 times before it will click and then it will click a couple of times before it will start. I have checked the connections and had the battery checked.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your problem is likely due to excessive voltage drop across the various 'safety' interlocks...
That has been a problem for John Deere and other manufactures for some time... So they came out with a relay kit to help with the problem...
If you do not already have it on that mower, you need to put one on... You can make your own for around $10 or buy it ready to install for around $25 to $30...
Here is one on eBay : John Deere Starter Relay Kit Lawn Tractor Rider Part | eBay

The interlock switches are the actual problem... but with this relay kit, you can get by using the bad switches that were used by the manufacturer.... :smile:KennyV

jakes

Threads
Your problem is likely due to excessive voltage drop across the various 'safety' interlocks...
That has been a problem for John Deere and other manufactures for some time... So they came out with a relay kit to help with the problem...
If you do not already have it on that mower, you need to put one on... You can make your own for around $10 or buy it ready to install for around $25 to $30...
Here is one on eBay : John Deere Starter Relay Kit Lawn Tractor Rider Part | eBay

The interlock switches are the actual problem... but with this relay kit, you can get by using the bad switches that were used by the manufacturer.... :smile:KennyV

OK this is where I sound stupid, how do I know if theres one on it and if I get one how hard is it to put on?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The small terminal On the starter solenoid will have a small wire attached to it... follow that wire... If it goes to a relay Close by, that's the relay in the kit.... I'm betting you don't have a relay close to the starter solenoid that is attached to that small terminal on the starter solenoid. If you did, you would not be having this problem.
They are Very simple to install. If you buy the kit, (also available at any JD dealer) the instructions are simple step by step.

Where in Kansas are you?
:smile:KennyV

jakes

Threads
One more question, the guy I bought it from put a honda motor in it does that change anything?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The starter kit wires up the same way on all engines...
The last one I made was for a Kubota diesel engine... :smile:KennyV