John Deere 14SB - need axle assistance

Lord Helmet

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all.

I've got a John Deere 14SB that has been in my family since it was new. It's always been a fantastic mower. Up until 3yrs ago, it sat for nearly 10yrs w/o use.

Regardless, shortly after I started using it (parents gave it to me), it developed a drive problem. I noticed it was only one-wheel drive (1WD) and it doesn't want to turn right freely. Between my skills as well as my neighbors (at the time), we took it apart and determind there was some sort of key with a spring on it inside the axle at the wheels. This apparently allows the axle/wheels to spin freely when the transmission is not engaged but engage them once the clutch is pulled. (If that makes sense?)

When we took this apart, it was clearly broken. If memory serves me right, I think it was the spring causing the issue. A little redneck ingenuity allowed us to get it back together and functioning properly again but since the part was clearly broken I knew it was a matter of time before it broke again.

It did, so I left it that way 1WD for the last two years.

I bought a new house with a sloped front yard last year and with one wheel drive, it likes to pull to the left when on the hill thanks to the 1WD.

I need some help locating a proper parts list and availability for this machine mainly for the rear axle. If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it! I'm not ready to give up on this mower yet as it is a fantastic machine and probably the best mower I've ever used.

In the meantime, there's one for sale locally that has some issues. I'm trying to get my hands on it for parts purposes but the seller has not responded yet.

Lord Helmet

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes. The online catalog tells me to call the dealer. I'd rather not if I can avoid it. If I must, then I must.

Lord Helmet

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I guess I jumped the gun here. I just called the dealer and it seems they had all the parts I need in stock and the whole lot is less than $15! :laughing:

For people with a similar problem as mine in the future, the problem is with my shaft key (PT12521) and the Compression Spring (PT12522). This should fix my problem. I'll try to report back if it does not for the sake of the thread.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the parts catalog does not list these pieces for the 14SB and the parts guy confirmed this. However, because I've had it apart once, I already know they are in there.