vacuum tester? for otto cycle engine?

tybilly

Threads
hello my first post,yrs ago i worked in a dealership.and my co worker had some kind of thermometer thing with a hose attacthed to a rubber stopper,plugged into the oil dipstick i think he was checking vaccuum anyone know what this tool is called?

tybilly

Threads
i guess that was a dumb question,lol,was wondering who sells these and why was he checking vac,wouldnt a leakdown tester suffice?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
A leakdown is not a vacuum test. leakdown is to do with pressure, vacuum is what it is (vacuum) a vacuum gauge can read vacuum & pressure...!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Is he talking about a vacuum gauge or a manometer?

tybilly

Threads
manometer,thankyou,what would he have been using it for rivets?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Manometer was used by Kohler to check for crankcase pressure. In fact it is one of the tools required by Kohler for their authorized service centers.

tybilly

Threads
and im guessing that lossening the oil dipstick and turning the engine over wont produce a "good engine" result?(flappin up and down of the dipstick) im sorry for the dumb questions,i appreciate your responses.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Running an engine and looking for dipstick bounce is only an indicator that further testing may be needed. Certain engines have a lot of bounce and are OK, while others should have none. A manometer will test for amount of vacuum in the crankcase for diagnostic purposes. Check this website reading pages 10&13.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp_2043_a.pdf

tybilly

Threads
thanks guys youre awesome