Mulching Clock wise or Counter clockwise??

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
With most mowers discharging to the right...
Do you mow CCW with the discharge going onto the mowed grass OR do you mow CW so you are shooting cut grass into the uncut grass?

I always re-cut by going CW, regardless of the height of the grass...
And in the fall, with leaves they just disappear...

Just wondering how you cut it? :smile:KennyV

Twinkle

Threads
Doesn't it depend on whether you are right or left handed? Someone also once told me that if you mow in Australia you will find it difficult to mow clockwise because of the pull of gravity!

Smartaleck

Threads
Someone also once told me that if you mow in Australia you will find it difficult to mow clockwise because of the pull of gravity!

I find this very amusing. That would mean that it's difficult to mow counter clockwise in Europe for the same reason. :laughing:

I mow with a grass collecting box on so I don't mulch directly but the cut grass goes into my composting bin.

Georgian

Threads
Well I like to have the cut grass go onto the uncut part. That way I can mulch the cut grass twice. Or at least that is my thinking. I find if I do it the other way, and the grass is long, I have an issue will cut grass laying around on top of the cut grass. Where I live, if it rains, the grass just shoots up so fast, it is impossible to keep it short between mowing.

Mac 624

Threads
Depends on the area we are working at. The back discharching makes it possible to mow in each direction and with the Klippo mulcher it does not matter. We only had one mower, which run counter clockwise. It was a Solo which discharged to the left side! Never have seen such before and after we have sold it. Even I do not know the reason why they did so.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
a Solo which discharged to the left side! Never have seen such before and after we have sold it. Even I do not know the reason why they did so.

The OLD Allis Chalmers mowers, made in the 60's and 70's were left side discharge... They were the only odd side riders I can recall ever seeing...
They were good mowers, just different... :smile:KennyV

rekees

Threads
CCW ... cutting it once is enough

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I quite often start on a diagonal in the middle and work my way out throwing cut grass onto uncut grass - at the outsides it goes into the woods. :biggrin:

rhonda42

Threads
I always mow my lawn twice (it's a relatively small lawn) and I mow it each way at 45 degree angles so I guess it really doesn't matter whether I blow the cut grass to the inside or outside.