Trouble finding new Walbro carb

turbofiat124

Threads
Hello!

I have an IDC 31cc tiller in need of a carb. It was given to me and does run but not very well. I believe it sat 10+ years in a barn if that tells you anything.

A local lawnmower shop sold me a carb kit so I soaked in in Gumout fuel injection cleaner for a couple of days, blew out all the galliers and installed a new kit but it doesn't run any better. I was told once the pinhole galleries clog up there is no hope for it.

The carb is a Walbro and the number stamped on it is WT149A. I have googled this part number to no avail. Unless this is not the actual carb number but that's the only number I see on it.

The company IDC is supposed to be out of business but Walbro is still in buisness so why can't I find a replacement carb?

I'd kind of like to give it one more shot (cleaning) but if the carb sat for a long time and the galleries are clogged up is there any hope for it? Or is there something more powerful I can use? I've heard you can use a TIG welder cleaning tool to unclog these galliers.

Anyone know where I might be able to find a new carb or perhaps another carb that will work if this particular one is no longer produced? Thanks.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Walbro WT149-A is fitted to the Ryobi AC Trimmer's back in 2007, I would'nt have thought that 2007 was that old for them to stop making that type of carb.

turbofiat124

Threads

Thanks.

No wonder I couldn't find it using Google. That link says that it has been replaced by carb WT-827-1

That site wants $45 .

I've seen new Walbro 2 stroke carbs at flea markets for as little as $10. I was hoping I could do better than $45. Not 100% sure it's the carb. I guess I could do a compression check on the motor to see if it's good before investing in a new carb. Last time I did a compression check on small 2 stroke I think anything above 70 lbs was considered OK.

I went last weekend to a local flea market to look for one but by the time I got there everybody was packing up by 2 pm because it was so hot.

Now that I have the right part number maybe I can find one on Ebay cheaper.

Lawnranger

Threads
Thanks.

No wonder I couldn't find it using Google. That link says that it has been replaced by carb WT-827-1

That site wants $45 .

I've seen new Walbro 2 stroke carbs at flea markets for as little as $10. I was hoping I could do better than $45. Not 100% sure it's the carb. I guess I could do a compression check on the motor to see if it's good before investing in a new carb. Last time I did a compression check on small 2 stroke I think anything above 70 lbs was considered OK.

I went last weekend to a local flea market to look for one but by the time I got there everybody was packing up by 2 pm because it was so hot.

Now that I have the right part number maybe I can find one on Ebay cheaper.

That site is the official Walbro site and I use it as a resource, not for purchasing. Many times a two stroke carburetor can be rebuilt with a gasket & diaphragm kit with favorable results but sometimes not so you may want to try a kit first. I have been able to buy kits for as little as $4.00 so to me it is worth a try in some cases but mostly I replace carburetors.

As far as compression goes, I like to see 90 P.S.I. or better and more like 120. I had one in the shop today that had 60 P.S.I. and told the customer he needs to purchase a new blower and next time do not operate the engine without an air filter.:eek:

Good luck in your search

turbofiat124

Threads
That site is the official Walbro site and I use it as a resource, not for purchasing. Many times a two stroke carburetor can be rebuilt with a gasket & diaphragm kit with favorable results but sometimes not so you may want to try a kit first. I have been able to buy kits for as little as $4.00 so to me it is worth a try in some cases but mostly I replace carburetors.

As far as compression goes, I like to see 90 P.S.I. or better and more like 120. I had one in the shop today that had 60 P.S.I. and told the customer he needs to purchase a new blower and next time do not operate the engine without an air filter.:eek:

Good luck in your search

Years ago when I lived with my parents I was responsible for all the mowing. Dad had this worn out weed wacker and was very hard to start. One of my tricks was to hold a cigarrette lighter to the plug and heat it up, shoot some starting fluid into the spark plug hole and insert the plug real fast and immedietly crank it. Sort of a make shift glow plug if you will. Otherwise it wouldn't start on it's own.
Sort of reminds me of a hot bulb engine!

It smoked like hell but ran. I tested the compression and it had 60 lbs. The instruction manual said anything below 70 lbs needed new rings.

I finally talked him into buying a new one because I told him it wouldn't start.

Dad has major issues with 2 strokes (among other things). He spends more than a $150 on a Stihl or Echo weedwacker or leaft blower thinking he is getting a better product and only get's 2 to 3 years out of it. He says they just "quit".

I on the other hand buy the cheapest thing on the market. I bought a Poulan weedeater and leaf blower at Wal-Mart for $69 a piece back in 2001 when I moved into my grandparents house.

Guess what both still run and usually start on the 3rd pull. The cord is currently broken on my leafblower so I bought a new one because the starter mechanism is starting to wear out, but otherwise the engine is good. Been meaning to replace it for months. I got some Kevlar cord I'm going to try.

I bet dad has purchased 5 weedeaters and blowers since I bought mine.

My guess is he is not mixing the fuel and oil correctly. I'm not sure why my cheap 2 strokes are outlasting his high dollar equiptment.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please do not try to purchase a Walbro carb at a flea market, unless you want a big headache. Walbro makes hundreds of different carbs and very few are interchangeable. If you can't rebuild your carb and want to use the machine, spend the money on a new carb. Buying a carb on eBay is also risky, as you don't know if they are new.