LA105 steering issue: sector and pinion gear wear

tgzzzz

Threads
I got a couple of lawn jobs to do some old ladies a favor. I bought the cheapest JD. One thing lead to another and I now have a bunch of lawns to mow. I'd like to run the JD til the bitter end (have 370hrs) but am now replacing the steering gears for the fourth time. The factory gears lasted 300 hrs but replacement parts from JD dealer far less. I'm replacing the bushings as well. And all well-lubed. This is a very simple set up which is annoying as well. The sector gear teeth are getting sharpened or more pointed by the pinion which is getting hollowed out. The extreme end sector teeth appear to be getting bent over. The R side always wears out first. At this point I'm starting to consider having a mule pull me around but I don't know my "haw" from my "gee". Thanks

Attachments

• MP39920________UN31JUL07.gif
    MP39920________UN31JUL07.gif
    24.6 KB · Views: 53

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I got a couple of lawn jobs to do some old ladies a favor. I bought the cheapest JD. One thing lead to another and I now have a bunch of lawns to mow. I'd like to run the JD til the bitter end (have 370hrs) but am now replacing the steering gears for the fourth time. The factory gears lasted 300 hrs but replacement parts from JD dealer far less. I'm replacing the bushings as well. And all well-lubed. This is a very simple set up which is annoying as well. The sector gear teeth are getting sharpened or more pointed by the pinion which is getting hollowed out. The extreme end sector teeth appear to be getting bent over. The R side always wears out first. At this point I'm starting to consider having a mule pull me around but I don't know my "haw" from my "gee". Thanks
A lack of a good way by the manufacturer to lubricate the components is often the demise of these steering parts. Why 3 sets of gears in 70 hours I haven't a clue unless you weren't replacing all components so they match.

Why yours sector teeth are are being bent over on the end is really strange since they usually often still look new from lack of use when the system fails.

As for the one side being worn more than the opposite that is often due to mowing counter clockwise or vise versa most of the time.

This is a really strange problem and sorry I can't help. If you ever determine the cause please provide us with any information you obtain.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have not been replacing the bearings, parts 14 & 24, that is probably the reason they are wearing so fast. Make sure #24 is not sloppy in the chassis, or you'll continue to have problems.

jwdjr

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / LA105 steering issue: sector and pinion gear wear
How do you get the gear off. #20 in the illustration

Raybuhrmesterjr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just hold the gear with a pipe wrench and take bolt off with a socket

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just hold the gear with a pipe wrench and take bolt off with a socket

Then tap the shaft up through the gear.
When you put it back on plop some copper slip on it to prevent it rusting solid onto the shaft.
Check the fan gear pilot bush ( # 24 ). Because there is no longer a tie rod between the wheels when you get some play in the drag links. one way will push while the other way will push the steering pins.
Thus turning one way will push the fan gear hard into the steering gear while turning the other way pulls the fan gear away form the steering gear.
And double ditto about the bushes (# 14) .
I lube them with a graphite solution that dries out so they don't collect dust and become abrasive.
WD 40 will soften them. engine oil will collect dust, dry lithium chassi grease will work OK as well.
The hole with nothing in it is to align the steering , drop a sloes fit bolt through there to hold things pointing strait ahead.