cylinder sleeve

combatcarl

Threads
Is there any way to tell by model/type/code on a B&S 4 horse if the cylinder is sleeved or not? If it isn't, is it possible to sleeve it, during a rebuild? I wonder if sleeved or unsleeved makes a difference in engine longevity or durability, in a level noticeable to a residential user.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have never heard of resleeving a or of a sleeve in a small air cooled engine. It would seem that the cost would be cheaper to buy a new engine or a short block. I think it would have to be custom made. I think you would find that most small air cooled engines are throw aways. The most you could buy over the counter would be a new set of rings.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
The model might tell. The third digit might be a 4. Say 114072 or so. That's for the I/C engines. Most are bare aluminum bore. Might have to pull the head and look. I'm into this pretty deep myself. The aluminum bore seems to be really taking a hit with modern oils, or something.

Russ2251

Threads
Do not know if this tidbit is still accurate or not, but here goes...
Briggs with aluminum cylinder used to be known as "Kool Bore", and cast iron sleeved engines were known as "Sleeve Bore".
The cast iron sleeved engines far outlast the aluminum counterpart.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey Tom, this thread is from 2012 so a few year old, but i will bite. I won't consider even rebuilding an engine unless the replacement engine is more than $1500.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
This may be useful info.....

BRIGGS Engine TYPE.JPG

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey Tom, this thread is from 2012 so a few year old, but i will bite. 0.

Gulp. You're right. Was looking around for some similar info and ran across this. I'll blame it on being an old fart. Off to a good start on here aren't I?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Gulp. You're right. Was looking around for some similar info and ran across this. I'll blame it on being an old fart. Off to a good start on here aren't I?

GOOD info NEVER goes bad, it just get's moved and mis-placed , you can be sure SOMEONE is glad to find it !! .. :thumbsup:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads

It's fine Tom.. You were actually trying to get information. The ones that get on the wrong side are the ones that dig up several of these old threads, and then reply to them without adding anything useful, or replying to a thread that the OP never came back after the local natives asked for additional information.