Just Bought 25 acre Farm - need advise on riding mowers

Rose

Threads
  • / Just Bought 25 acre Farm - need advise on riding mowers
My husband and I just bought a 25 acre farm in a very pretty part of our state. We wanted to be able to keep our 4 horses on our own land. As well, I was recently diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and so I had to give up my work teaching riding at another stable.

We have about 4 acres in barns, winter pasture and a sand ring. And about 4 acres in lawns etc. The rest is used mostly for growing hay. I'm not trying to find a mower for the hay fields. We will get that done for us by professionals. I'm not an expert on that.

But we do need a riding mower for the lawns and if possible something which will also be used to pull the harrow for the riding ring. Any suggestions?

linda4

Threads
I would get a Bolens commercial tractor with the basic attachments for mowing, pulling, and hauling. It will be a bit expensive, but if you maintain it well it should last you 10-15 years.

Attachments

• 073011170615.jpg
    073011170615.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 073011170511.jpg
    073011170511.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 073011164309.jpg
    073011164309.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 3

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
With your property size, I'd say a compact or subcompact tractor will give you the most versatility. Chances are you're going to eventually need some attachments other than the mower and harrow.

Granted, while a good garden tractor can be found for $1,500-$2,000, even a subcompact tractor is going to cost $7,500-$10,000 depending on age, condition, hours, etc. But it's something to consider an investment in your property.

oldfarmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I agree on the idea of a small compact tractor, and buy a brand that has a dealer for parts/service somewhere close to your area. be sure to get a 3 pt, so you can get a rear finish mower. and I think you'l find a 3 pt rake, and box blade to be tools you'll use in your business.

I have a JD 4410 hydro and love it, but there are many good brands in other paint colors that will do the job.

good luck in your new venture, and I hope your RA stays manageable.

Jim

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree with everyone else in that the versatility of a tractor makes enough sense to justify the up front costs. Once you have one you'll find lots of jobs for it and wonder why you didn't get one before. As Muhamed mentioned, the implements and attachments make the possibiltys even greater in number. I can see that based on what you've said that a front end loader should probably on it when you purchase it, along with the mower and harrow.
I know you came here for answers but should you decide on a tractor, the questions begin to add up and it may seem compex working your way through the different configuations and manufacturers but it's time well spent. Choosing the right equipment is critical for getting the most out of it. I might suggest renting some machines if possible and try to discover the limitations pertaining to size, power, drive train and manueverability. If you have dealer nearby they may be willing to loan or rent some equipment in hopes you will buy from them.
If money is an issue remember, prices are down right now and so are interest rates. If you buy a second hand tractor you may be able to recoup a lot of or all of the upfront costs if you sell it. Buying a new mower might cost 3000.00$ or more, depreciating in half in the first 2 years (speculating).
Also, at least in my state, there is no tax on 3 pt. attachments (tractor implements)
Consider a tractor before you buy that mower:rolleyes:

Rose

Threads
Thanks you everyone for your thoughts. I think I will have to do as suggested and check out tractors with attachments. Heavens, more things to look into. I'll check out my local John Deere dealer here and see what they have. I do like their products, and have used them in the past.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Definitely a tractor and you really should start at:
TractorByNet.com - Compact Tractor Forum
It's brought to you by the same fine fellow that brought us this site... Thanks again Muhammad.
:smile:KennyV