Craftsman LT1000

Lawnranger

Threads
yea it mighta been a bluish white smoke & it does smell a bit like oil/gas...i cant see how it could water in it its garage kept so it never gets wet....& just went out to & smelled the oil dipstick & DOES smell like gas...how hard is it to fix the float/needle valve problem?

As far as smell goes, it would have a very strong gasoline smell not just a little but that is subject to one's sense of smell. Usually if the float/needle & seat are leaking the oil level is way, way overfull but in your case the oil level is low so that leads me to believe your problem is oil consumption.

Perform a fresh oil/filter change and bring the oil level to just under the full mark and start the engine for at least 30 seconds. Shut the engine off and wait at least two hours. Come back and check the oil level. Add oil, if necessary, to bring the oil level exactly to the full mark. Take your time and add just a little bit at a time to ensure the level is right on full. Use the mower as usual and check the oil level before each use. If your engine is consuming oil the level will drop from the full mark according to how severe the usage problem is.

The above test make take some time but it's worth it. If an engine gets enough oil in the combustion chamber it will not perform properly and will puff bluish/white smoke out the exhaust. Next, we'll have to determine why your engine is using oil. You may also have a fuel/carburetor problem so let's see what happens after the fresh oil change.

Lawnranger

Threads
As far as fixing the needle & seat goes, it's very simple and youtube has some good videos - a picture is worth a thousand words.

dumbass

Forum Newbie
Threads
yea i think i saw yer post earlier Garacuda mine doesnt seem to want to clear its throat tho like yours seems to do...

& ok Lawnranger thanx i will try that & see if that does the trick....i just find it odd that its starting to do it now out of the blue...i never had a problem with it as far the engine goes..i had a problem where it threw the drive belt but that was an eazy fix & havnt had that issue again...ill get some oil & a new filter tomarrow & hopefully she will be back to purrin like a kitten...lol

dumbass

Forum Newbie
Threads
well hopefully the needle/valve thing isnt the problem

green dream

Threads
my friend has the same problem with his it will start right but has no power changed the plug, didn't help, need to change the filters (air and gas), it smells like it is running rich but no black smoke just no power. i took the carb off and blew seafoam through it and air but it didn't help. the battery cablesv were loose but they are tightened now, didn't help. oil looks ok no gas smell in the oil just too much in the carb below the airlfilter. the mower is a 04/2014 with a 420cc mtd motor init at least that is what it says on the motor. it is a head schratcher because i cannot find any adjustment for the carb. it is over head engine maybe the valves are out of adjustment?