Briggs & Stratton 4 HP Throwing Oil Out Of Muffler

vs218

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs & Stratton 4 HP Throwing Oil Out Of Muffler
Model 12F702-0606-01 Code 9408095

Has been in storage for years. Fired it up and lots of smoke came out of the muffler. It ran for a short while then died. Looked below the muffler and there was a small pool of dark oil. Checked the oil and it looks very clean. After several tries got the unit to fire up again. Same thing happened, lots of white smoke, oil dripping out of muffler, after several minutes I just shut it down.

Someone suggested that the lawnmower may have been tipped. Not sure of that, I did not tip it. What can I do to try and clear out oil if it had been tipped?

If tipping was not the cause of this problem, what else could it be? What can I do to troubleshoot or resolve this problem?

Help please!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It just may be a case of the engine being stored slightly spark plug down, leading to oil seeping past rings while being stored. The best thing to do is tie the control bail if it has one, start the mower, go get a cold drink and a sandwich, come back in about 15 minutes, shut off mower, and wipe the oil off the deck, and you should be fine.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do not do what IL said in a garage, unless you want your better half on your back for the next month.

vs218

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model 12F702-0606-01 Code 9408095
Had been advised to let it run to burn off the oil, which I did while I proceeded to mow the back yard. Thought everything was okay. The next time I tried to start it, it fired up briefly, then it died rather rapidly. I tried it again, just a few sputters but nothing. I cannot even get it to fire now. Replaced the spark plug with one set to proper gap. Still nothing.
What can I do to troubleshoot this unit?
Also, does anyone know what the trick is to draining the oil?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would take the carb off and give it a good cleaning. Easiest way to change oil is to get it warm and then drain it out through the fill tube by laying the unit on it's side.