HRX217VKA Review

mano

Forum Newbie
Threads
Back in April I got a super deal on a Home Depot floor model HRX217VKA for around $390 to replace an aging HRM 215. As a bonus, Honda was extending the warranty by two years. I wanted to see how the mower performed for several months before writing a review and I gotta say, it's terrific.

The Smart Drive is great. Changing the speed by pressing my palm against the paddle became second nature after 4-5 cuts, but until then it took some getting used to and I can see why not everyone likes it.

The GCV190 engine is quiet, smooth and strong. We've had periods of mild drought and heavy rains resulting in some tall, thick grass and the 190cc cut right through it. The HRM215 would constantly stall out and I was ready for the HRX217 to at least strain a good bit. There were a few patches where it strained slightly so I slowed down.

The mower is pretty light and I'm already a fan of the composite deck from the HRM215. The 217 starts up pretty easily with the auto choke.

CONS:
Although the MicroCut Twin Blades mulch the grass very fine, there are still clumps of grass left behind once in a while.

The Versamow System with Clip Director is nice, but the door allows grass in. Maybe that's why I get clumps and the door needs to be adjusted.

Re: which is the best mower, Honda or Toro, I think they're both terrific. People should quit trying to say one is better than the other and be glad they can choose either one and know they're getting top quality and performance.

Last edited:
Threads
I was looking at the HRX217VKA last month, but I thought the Smart Drive would get your thumbs or palms tired. Also, it doesn't have the Blade Brake Stop, which I wanted, which is why I got the HRX217HYA. I love it! The Clip Director on mine doesn't close all the way when I mulch also, so I always have to clean out the back after I'm done, but other than that...IT IS AWESOME! :thumbsup:

Richr106

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Smart Drive is great. The big negative for me is that the machine is so cumbersome and heavy, particularly going up steep hills. More than once, the back wheels spin and cannot seem to grip on these inclines. Previously I had a Sears mower with front wheel drive, and I think maybe I should have gotten front wheel drive again. The Sears machine was much lighter, too.

As I side note, I have to tell you my buying experience. I "purchased" the Honda walk behind at Home Depot. When I got to the parking lot, I found that I was having trouble fitting it into my car. I went back inside to customer service and it seemed that nobody was particularly interested in helpiing me. The attitudes at Home Depot were not conducive to establishing a rapport or building a relationship with the customer. So, I said, "The Heck with it," undid my purchase...went across the street to a smaller, local competitor and bought the Honda there for fifty bucks more! And you know what, I do not feel bad about it. The machine was delivered to me for free the next day. Now I am looking forward to better service from this smaller entrepeneur.

LMAN007

Threads
Back in April I got a super deal on a Home Depot floor model HRX217VKA for around $390 to replace an aging HRM 215. As a bonus, Honda was extending the warranty by two years. I wanted to see how the mower performed for several months before writing a review and I gotta say, it's terrific.

The Smart Drive is great. Changing the speed by pressing my palm against the paddle became second nature after 4-5 cuts, but until then it took some getting used to and I can see why not everyone likes it.

The GCV190 engine is quiet, smooth and strong. We've had periods of mild drought and heavy rains resulting in some tall, thick grass and the 190cc cut right through it. The HRM215 would constantly stall out and I was ready for the HRX217 to at least strain a good bit. There were a few patches where it strained slightly so I slowed down.

The mower is pretty light and I'm already a fan of the composite deck from the HRM215. The 217 starts up pretty easily with the auto choke.

CONS:
Although the MicroCut Twin Blades mulch the grass very fine, there are still clumps of grass left behind once in a while.

The Versamow System with Clip Director is nice, but the door allows grass in. Maybe that's why I get clumps and the door needs to be adjusted.

Re: which is the best mower, Honda or Toro, I think they're both terrific. People should quit trying to say one is better than the other and be glad they can choose either one and know they're getting top quality and performance.
I had the same problem with a few clumps left behind, so I set my Honda HRX217VKA to a heeling height, which is 2 inch cut for the back wheels (notch 3) and a 2 1/2 inch cut for the front wheels (notch 4). Bingo, no more clumps nor grass clippings trailing the rear wheels!!:laughing:

LMAN007

Threads
I was looking at the HRX217VKA last month, but I thought the Smart Drive would get your thumbs or palms tired. Also, it doesn't have the Blade Brake Stop, which I wanted, which is why I got the HRX217HYA. I love it! The Clip Director on mine doesn't close all the way when I mulch also, so I always have to clean out the back after I'm done, but other than that...IT IS AWESOME! :thumbsup:

You should always clean out the shut after each cut.

LMAN007

Threads
The Smart Drive is great. The big negative for me is that the machine is so cumbersome and heavy, particularly going up steep hills. More than once, the back wheels spin and cannot seem to grip on these inclines. Previously I had a Sears mower with front wheel drive, and I think maybe I should have gotten front wheel drive again. The Sears machine was much lighter, too.

As I side note, I have to tell you my buying experience. I "purchased" the Honda walk behind at Home Depot. When I got to the parking lot, I found that I was having trouble fitting it into my car. I went back inside to customer service and it seemed that nobody was particularly interested in helpiing me. The attitudes at Home Depot were not conducive to establishing a rapport or building a relationship with the customer. So, I said, "The Heck with it," undid my purchase...went across the street to a smaller, local competitor and bought the Honda there for fifty bucks more! And you know what, I do not feel bad about it. The machine was delivered to me for free the next day. Now I am looking forward to better service from this smaller entrepeneur.

Bought mine from maxtool free delivery, no tax and $100 cheaper than home depot, I paid $545.45, had it in 4 days, and this mower has the NEW gcv200 engine. Great machine, I actually like cutting grass now.:laughing:

trekgod3

Threads
Bought mine from maxtool free delivery, no tax and $100 cheaper than home depot, I paid $545.45, had it in 4 days, and this mower has the NEW gcv200 engine. Great machine, I actually like cutting grass now.:laughing:

This thread is 7 years old