Poulan chainsaw fuel lines replacement

bodean

Threads
Needing to replace fuel lines on a Poulan Wild Thing chainsaw. Anyone have a trick for getting a fuel line routed through the small hole in tank? I got the small line through, but the larger line just won't go all the way through. Tried pulling through using a piece of telephone wire looped through one end that was angle cut, but it just ripped through the line.

Lawnranger

Threads
Very simple. Use a cutter tool or sharp blade such as an Exacto knife and cut the tubing on an angle so the angle is about an inch long and pointed. Route the pointed end of the fuel line through the hole and use a hemostat ($5.00 at Harbor Freight) or needle nose pliers to pull the line through the hole. Next, pull enough line so that it is outside the fuel filler opening and cut the line at 90 degrees. Install your filter or if this is the return line pull the line back toward the hole so about an inch of line is still inside the fuel tank. The line should be larger than the hole making it a "friction fit" and sealing the fuel system.

Hope this helps and let me know if you need more information.

Here is a link to the curved model I use frequently: 10-1/2" Jumbo Curved Clamp

bodean

Threads
Thanks a lot. I was angle cutting the line, but apparently not far enough up. I'll give it another try. Spraying silicone on the smaller line helped a lot.

possum

Threads
I had to do three last year. It gets sort of old trying to get them through. I think Poulan is the worst ones lol. I cut at a long sharp angle and used some WD40, and twisted the line through, then grabbed it with a long pair of needle nose pliars. The good line I purchased from a lawnmower shop was alot harder to get through than the cheap clear stuff that came with primer bulbs.

bodean

Threads
My next question; There was a small 2 sided and barbed union floating around inside the tank. Got any idea where that goes? Is the feed line 2 pieced inside the tank? If it was, then it's not now as I ran the smaller feed line all the way to the filter.

Lawnranger

Threads
My next question; There was a small 2 sided and barbed union floating around inside the tank. Got any idea where that goes? Is the feed line 2 pieced inside the tank? If it was, then it's not now as I ran the smaller feed line all the way to the filter.

The 2 sided barbed union goes on the end of the return line and is used in an attempt to help prevent the vent line from pulling back out of the hole. The barb expands the end of the return line and makes it more difficult for pressure which can occur inside the tank to push the line back out through the hole. Either way, make sure to use the barbed union so you don't have an accidental fuel leak.

possum

Threads
The videos I watched as well as the way my local dealer does it is to force the union back into the hole in the fuel tank with the hose on the union. If you think the fuel line is hard to get through wait until you try to pull it back through with the union on. Once it snaps into place it does make a very strong nice fit. But it takes some pretty good encouragement from both directions.