cub cadet backfire

whitey1957

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 3 year old cub cadet with a 19 horse kohler engine 42 inch cut.After I mowed last year it started to backfire every time I should it down after about 5 seconds.I'm tired of throwing my underwear out.This year I lowered the idle and adjusted the mixture screw or what I think is the mixture screw.There are two adjustment screws side by side,one with a black cap and one you adjust with a screwdriver.It still backfires:HELP PLEASE

imacubfan

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is common for the twin cylinder engines if you do not let them cool down before you shut them off. Let it idle a 30 seconds to one minute before you shut it off. It does not hurt to make sure the engines cooling fins are clear of debris also.

dnjsyl

Threads
A lot of the KOhler engines i have seen backfire when they r shut off

jimbob69

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings. Most newer engines backfire when shut off if you have not allowed the exhaust to cool at idle for 30-60 seconds. The mufflers are much larger than previous years and when the engine is shut off all you are doing is stopping the spark from igniting the fuel mixture in the cylinder and allowing the heat of the muffler to ignite the unburnt fuel mixture in the muffler. Hope this helps.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
It will cost you about 10 cents more per gallon but if you use a higher octane fuel... it will stop backfiring. KennyV
PS the old 12, 14, and 16 horse single cylinder engines commonly did this... that is the main reason Kohler recommended premium fuel... That backfire will eventually eat up your muffler.

Last edited:
Threads
I agree with the others who said bring it to an idle for a minute before shutting it down , That should help reduce the back fires:thumbsup:

jimbo64

Threads
It will cost you about 10 cents more per gallon but if you use a higher octane fuel... it will stop backfiring. KennyV
PS the old 12, 14, and 16 horse single cylinder engines commonly did this... that is the main reason Kohler recommended premium fuel... That backfire will eventually eat up your muffler.

i agree- hi octane fuel has lower detonation [ thats why its used to cure engine knocks ]

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kohler has always recommended that there newer engines be shut off at full throttle. The Afterfire solenoid on the carb doesn't shut the fuel off of the idle jet in the carb only the high speed jet.

clinct

Forum Newbie
Threads
2544 with the same problem, dealer recommended shutting it down at WOT. Though it went against my thinking I now shut it down at full throtle & no more backfire.

jhwentworth

Threads
2544 with the same problem, dealer recommended shutting it down at WOT. Though it went against my thinking I now shut it down at full throtle & no more backfire.

Different Kohler engines require a different shut-down method. Here's a quote from the Kohler engine owner's manual:
For Carbureted Engines Without A Shutdown
Solenoid: Move the throttle to the slow or low
idle position. Allow the engine to run at idle for
30-60 seconds; then stop the engine.
For Carbureted Engines Equipped With A
Shutdown Solenoid: Position the throttle control
between half and full throttle; then stop the
engine.
For EFI Engines: Move the throttle to the slow or
idle position; turn key off to stop engine.