MTD Yardman no start

WCBcoor

Threads
I have an MTD Yardman lawn tractor with a Briggs and Stratton 14.5 HP OHV engine. I had a float failure and ended up with a tank of gas inside the engine. Drained and cleaned. Changed float unit and connections. Changed oil. Changed some electrical connectors. Changed some electrical cables. Changed solenoid. Changed bushings in starter. - basically everything that had gotten gas in it. Put in gas shut off valve. Opened, cleaned and adjusted valves. New spark plug. New head gasket. Good compression. Tractor has run perfectly for the last 2 weeks but now won't start, it just cranks and tries to fire. Any idea of what's going on? Thanks

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two things to try. First spray some carb cleaner into the air horn of the carb, choke and see it the engine will fire. If it does, it means that you are not getting fuel out of the carb. If it does not, I would check to see if I had spark. If it fires, I would remove the float bowl and spray carb cleaner straight up the main nozzle to make sure it is clean.

WCBcoor

Threads
Ok Finally got back to this one (got sidetracked by a grandson with his new treasure - a 1985? Mastercut 12HP/38" he paid $40 for) Took the carb apart as you suggested. It starts now and runs ok, but still has issues. Thanks for the advice - and will be back if it continues to give me problems.