Toro MX 4260 Vs. Toro SS4260

Abrahamm

Threads
I'm in the Houston, Texas area with 1 1/2 acres of St. Augustine grass (plus some unwelcome weeds...)

I'm on flat, but somewhat bumpy ground.

I'm looking at buying a zero turn Toro mower, but which one?

As I'm a geezer with a budget, the SS4260 appeals more to my budget, but perhaps I should get the MX4260.

Opinions?

Thanks!

I'm also available for suggestions on other brands or models.

Thanks again!

Abrahamm

Threads
I neglected to add: Is buying from internet sales thus providing greater cost savings (8.25% tax saved and free delivery) the way to go or pay for a local dealer with a higher mark up, delivery cost, plus tax the way to go?

I would rather buy from a local dealer, but the cost is so much greater for the same machine. However, I appreciate how can we continue to have local service if we buy from the internet?

Plus, when local service is needed am I likely to be turned down or get very slow service the likely scenario?

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Thanks!

scott47429

Threads
i don't know the difference between the machines so i can't help there and i always buy from a dealer that way I'm sure to get service if i run into something i can't handle myself and it does happen and i would say yeah you may get slower service at the dealer then you would if you had bought it through them since i know most of the dealers in my area in the summer when there busy they won't service anything they didn't sell and plus i know it may be higher to buy from them but you also have to look at it this way if you buy from them you keep the money local and you keep them in business so when you do need service you don't drive up and see the out of business sign hanging in the door due to lack of business its better all the way around in my opinion to support you local dealer and when it comes time they will support you if there good

Abrahamm

Threads
scott47429,

Thank you for your reply.

And yes, I'm with you regarding buying locally. Also, buying from a local dealer (he's quite reputable) means I won't have to worry about an internet purchase showing up damaged and all that entails...

At this point though, I'm looking at an approximate $500.00 difference between a local purchase vs. internet - ouch!

Your input has me thinking perhaps it would be worth trying negotiate a bit with the local dealer. I certainly wouldn't expect a matching price, but maybe free delivery... As it is, the local dealer is only eight miles away...

possum

Threads
I do not know how much greater this cost is through a dealer in your area but around here it is not all that great for the same machine. If the price is that much more then I would just find another dealer different brand etc. It cost money to deliver or pick up so if within reason I would not mind that part. If you need service for the internet model you are going to either have to deliver it to a dealer or hire the dealer to come get it. Either way cost money. I figure it this way. If I intend to fix myself or just junk an item I will buy from a non dealer. If not, I buy from a dealer well known to be a good service provider.

scott47429

Threads
you can probably haggle the price with the dealer more just be up front and say this is what i can buy it for and take him a print out and see what he will do you never know he may come dow or he may give free delivery or he may even give you the first service for free just talk to him person to person he wants to make a sale you want to buy and get together with him over a cup of coffee or something see what happens

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well I don't know about any where else but here if my dealer carries a mower that I can buy on the internet or at a BB store they will generally match the price especially from a BB store. Another thing to consider is how you're purchasing the mower, are you financing, credit or cash, most any dealer will discount the price for a cash sale.

scott47429

Threads
true ric most dealers will do what they have to in order to feel a mower

Parkmower

Threads
Most dealers offer free delivery and set up showing you how to use your new machine and understand it.

Paulz2821

Threads
The mx is the beefier version of the two for about a $1000 more. It comes with a fabricated deck instead of the stamped one. They say it also has a beefier transmission and to top it off, arm rests built onto the seat. I forgot if there is a motor difference. I think they both come with the same kawasaki though. For just one yard a year I think I would save the 1000 bucks. And I would get it online and save the 500 as well. I'm a cheap bastard. Your dealer is going to put you in the back of the line anyways cause your residential. Commercial accounts get fixed first around here.