Toro MX 4260 Vs. Toro SS4260

Abrahamm

Threads
I just got off the phone with my very close by (about three miles from me and I didn't know he existed) Hustler dealer.

I'll be looking and test driving a Hustler Sport 42" deck tomorrow. (Kawasaki engine)

The thing I've been trying to do is find technical detail specs for comparison to the Toro MX4260 and can't find them. The Hustler website doesn't give fine detail specs. At this point, all I know is they both come with Kawasaki engines, but I don't know if it's the same one or...? And, they both have welded decks and I understand from reading here the Toro has a ZT2200 transmission and the Hustler has the ZT2800 - other than those important details I know nothing more in order to compare.

Plus, I can't find the phone number for the Hustler service center. All they provide is an email contact and I want to speak to a tech type...

In order for me to make a decision between the two and yes, this is where I'm heading, I have to know the detail differences.

HELP!

and thanks all.

Popeye

Threads
Last edited:

Abrahamm

Threads
Just found out the Hustler Sport ZTR (42"deck) comes with a FR 541 Kawasaki engine which is a 15 HP power plant.

Hhmm, doesn't sound nearly as impressive as the Toro MX with it's 23 Hp Kawasaki.

I've also been told not to let hp numbers mislead me.

Maybe is 15 hp is enough...?

And thanks everyone for your responses.

I'll eventually decide which one to buy...when I get definitive answers to my many questions.

Abrahamm

Threads
Popeye,

I didn't see the phone number you provided on your reply, thank you, thank you, it's just what I need.

I've called and gotten a lot of my questions asked.

I bow in the direction of your google-foo to find that number cuz I sure couldn't.

Thanks again!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just found out the Hustler Sport ZTR (42"deck) comes with a FR 541 Kawasaki engine which is a 15 HP power plant.

Hhmm, doesn't sound nearly as impressive as the Toro MX with it's 23 Hp Kawasaki.

I've also been told not to let hp numbers mislead me.

Maybe is 15 hp is enough...?

And thanks everyone for your responses.

I'll eventually decide which one to buy...when I get definitive answers to my many questions.

I don't know about the FR 541 but the Grandstand I just purchased has the FS 541 and I found nothing that it will not cut. I also ran a 13hp Kawasaki on the G1336 commercial WB and it was an awesome engine. I wouldn't worry about the 15 not being enough. I'd be more worried about the transmissions.

Popeye

Threads
I was actually going to buy Hustler Sport until I looked a the SnapperPro S50x I have now. It was more money than the Sport or some of the others I looked at. But for the price and what's on it. It was a lot more mower than the others and not that much more money. It is a commercial machine and for the cabin in E. Texas the others would not have stood up. Sorry about the confusion I caused I don't know what I pulled up but it wasn't the right specs on the Sport. Still a solid machine.

Paulz2821

Threads
Engines....biggest mistake I made. Big motor means big gas bill. You want the motor that will do the job. I think the mx4250 will suit your needs and you will be very happy. Spend the 500 and get the beefed tranny, fabbed deck and arm rests. Toro is a reputable name that everyone knows even if they aren't mower junkies. Or buy a used commercial mower that you know nothing about. Remember that your the one paying for it so Do what's right for you and your wallet. How old are you?

Abrahamm

Threads
I demo'd the MX4260 and really like it.

Until I saw the MX5060 and that's the one I want. Didn't get to demo it, but sat in it and touched everything and oohed and eaahed and drooled...

Same engine as the the MX4260, (23 Hp Kawasaki) but much else is bigger i.e., 50" deck, ZT2800 Transmission, bigger tires, more seating comfort overall and frankly, looks so much bigger in comparison to the MX4260 that the 42" looks like a toy.

Is bigger always better? No. In this case though I'd be moving up in deck size from my old lawn tractor (46" deck) to a 50". Moving down to a 42" seemed to make sense initially cuz a lot of the time I can't utilize the entire lawn tractor deck as I often have to make 1/2 deck size cuts because it's set up to mulch and often can't digest as much grass with that set up as a side discharge.

I plan to use side discharge and quit mulching - so I thought a 42" would work as I could utilize the whole deck with each cutting pass. And, that's what I'll do. With a 50" deck! Whoo Hoo!

I'm about to go out and cut my 1 1/2 acres with ye old lawn tractor, (it's only 98 degrees out) but if all goes according to plan it'll be the last time...

Popeye

Threads
Congrats,
Shame you can't go ahead cut it with that new Toro.

Same engine as the the MX4260, (23 Hp Kawasaki) but much else is bigger i.e., 50" deck, ZT2800 Transmission,

That is a better choice than the Hustler Sport IMHO