Toro MX 4260 Vs. Toro SS4260

scott47429

Threads
my dealer don't put you at the back of the line just cause your residential he he fixes them in the order they come in he has used machines he will lone out to commercial accounts to keep them going and he will also lone one out to a home owner if they need it he's a great guy to work with

Abrahamm

Threads
Thanks all for the great responses.

Upon further research of the two machines, I've found that some of what comes standard on the MX isn't found on the SS model: arm rests, an hour meter, a welded deck (not stamped) a 23 HP motor vs. a 21.5 HP (same Kawasaki motor just tuned up some...) and it runs a larger hydro pump/ wheel motor system - recommended if one is to pull a trailer, which I will. A 17 cu. ft. dump trailer I've been pulling with my older Craftsmen 24 h.p. lawn tractor.

Of course, I don't want to spend more than is necessary, but so far no one here has the experience of running the ss vs. the mx and and so without the benefit of others experience my choice will be a greater gamble.

The cost difference that I've researched is roughly $500.00 more for the mx vs the ss - buying it on the internet. This coincidently is the difference between buying the ss from a dealer - weird...

The weight difference between the two models is 135 lbs the MX is the heavier. I wonder if this much of a factor in creating ruts or tearing up the grass more when pivot turn, if that makes sense...? This was not a concern with a garden tractor, but I guess when getting a zero turn there has to be some downside.

Thoughts?

Thanks again everyone.

scott47429

Threads
if your ground is solid not soft then the weight won't matter much as far as ruts unless the ground is wet i personally like the heaver mower cause it will get better traction and will hold on a hill sideways better but thats just me and as far as damage to the yard on turns unless you have run a ZTR before you will damage the yard some till you get use to it no matter how heavy it is just remember to slow down before the turn and make sure both rear wheels are moving when making a turn if you just lock one of them up to make a turn you will damage they grass so slow dow pay attention to the rear wheels till you get the hang of it there alot of fun to use i love mine good luck

Parkmower

Threads
The fabbed deck alone is worth the extra $500.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm in the Houston, Texas area with 1 1/2 acres of St. Augustine grass (plus some unwelcome weeds...)

I'm on flat, but somewhat bumpy ground.

I'm looking at buying a zero turn Toro mower, but which one?

As I'm a geezer with a budget, the SS4260 appeals more to my budget, but perhaps I should get the MX4260.

Opinions?

Thanks!

I'm also available for suggestions on other brands or models.

Thanks again!

You asked for suggestions on other brands or models. It's a Cub Cadet Z Force 48" Commercial and you can buy it for $4199

Specifications

Engine

Engine22 HP Kohler Courage V-Twin OHV
(Displacement) 725cc
(Orientation) Vertical Cylinders2/cast iron sleeve Starting System Electric Lubrication(Filter) Full pressure w/spin-on oil filter Oil Capacity2 qt.Fuel Capacity Single 4.25-gallon tank/single storage pod Forward speed0-8 mph Reverse speed0-4 mph Fuel Gas Ignition Transistor controlled Cooling(System) Air

Transmission

Transmission Dual Hydro-Gear ZT 2800 w/oil reservoir and filter

Chassis

Steering3-way adjustable lap bars Frame Fully welded steel 1.5" x 2.0" tubular section Front Axle Pivoting, steel Tires Front13" x 5.0" - 6.0" (rib)Tires Rear20" x 8" - 10" (turf)Wheel caster(Pivot Bearings) Composite bushing

Dimensions

Deck Size 48"Deck Height Adjustment 1.0" - 4.0" (in .25" increments)Blade Spindle(Construction) Cast aluminum with tapered roller bearings Blade Length17"Blade (Brake Clutch) Ogura GT-1Wheelbase 43"Overall Length70"Width60"Weight722 lbs

General Information

Cutting Width48" triple blade 3-in-1Cutting Height1" - 4"Deck Construction11-gauge fabricated deck, w/7-gauge reinforced top plate Deck Drive Belt driven, KevlarョAnti-Scalping Front roller/ Adjustable nose roller and 2 greasable anti-scalp wheels
(Rear) 4 stripingWarranty3-year/180-hour limitedAlternator12V-15 amp. regulatedBattery275 cca Deck Lift Foot-pedal, spring assisted Seat High-back w/ arm rests and gel suspension Parking Brake Mechanical lever Deck(PTO) Electronic fingertip engagement SeatArm Rest High-back w/ (Type) arm rests and gel suspension Cup holder Standard - in storage poolWarranty3-year/180-hr limited warranty Air Cleaner Replaceable/dual element Wire Automotive-style Deck(Blades) Triple
(Style/System) Floating
(Wash) Patented Smart Jet high-pressure deck washing system Safety Systems Operator presence Standard Return to Neutral; Lap Bar Dampers; Greasable Spindle Bearings; Monitor/Hour Meter; Front Platform Design - Extruded steel Control3-way adjustable lap bars

Hydraulics

Hydraulic Type(Fluid) Rotella Triple Plus 15W40
(Fluid Capacity) 5.0 qt. (2.5 qt. per side including filter) including expansion tank
Oil Filter

Abrahamm

Threads
Ric,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I will certainly look hard at that model.

One thing and I hope I don't sound argumentative, but on some of the other threads on the forum, a number of members seem to have a negative opinion on the Kohler Courage engine.

Since I know little about the Kohler motors, perhaps there's one particular Kohler Courage motor (or year) they're not happy with or then again, maybe they mean all Kohler Courage motors. I just don't know... Or, maybe whatever made folks unhappy with that motor has been resolved. Again, I don't know.

Do you?

Thanks!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I will certainly look hard at that model.

One thing and I hope I don't sound argumentative, but on some of the other threads on the forum, a number of members seem to have a negative opinion on the Kohler Courage engine.

Since I know little about the Kohler motors, perhaps there's one particular Kohler Courage motor (or year) they're not happy with or then again, maybe they mean all Kohler Courage motors. I just don't know... Or, maybe whatever made folks unhappy with that motor has been resolved. Again, I don't know.

Do you?

Thanks!

I don't really know what's happening and why but I can tell you I been running that unit six days a week and I have almost 600 hrs on the 22 kohler in 15 months and have never had a problem with that mower or engine. I also had two 20hp engines, one a single cylinder in a LT 1045 and the other the twin in a Z Force 44" ZTR and both motors had over 400 hrs and I never had a problem with either one of them.

The thing that puzzles me is if these Kohler Courage engines were as bad as some on here say why haven't there been any recalls from Kohler.:confused2:

If you were to buy a Kohler I would recommend using a standard petroleum based detergent oil ( I use Mobil 5000 10w30 in all my motors) and change your oil ever 50 hrs along with the filter and stay away from the synthetic oil. Keep your oil level within the operating range on the stick and never above and you'll never have a problem.
The other thing that I do with all my motors and people say I'm crazy but I change the oil and filter ever 25hrs for the first 100 hrs.

scott47429

Threads
just my opinion i would run away from the courage engine

Popeye

Threads
just my opinion i would run away from the courage engine

Same here

I looked up that mower and if you are going to be towing. That transmission ZT2200 bothers me. Since you are around Houston go look at a Hustler Sport. The one I was quoted last year is about $500 cheaper than that Toro with a Kawasaki engine and a ZT2800 tranny. Brother in Law has an Exmark in about that same price and I think they both have better components than the Toro you are looking at.
I buy from dealers. Only thing gas powered and or machinery I have bought over the internet is a McLane edger because nobody around here had a gas powered edger. I also capable of working on it if need be. When I lived in Sugarland I always dealt with SW Mower. But I have Snapper and SnapperPro mowers. Don't think they carry Hustler.

Just my .02

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Same here

I looked up that mower and if you are going to be towing. That transmission ZT2200 bothers me. Since you are around Houston go look at a Hustler Sport. The one I was quoted last year is about $500 cheaper than that Toro with a Kawasaki engine and a ZT2800 tranny. Brother in Law has an Exmark in about that same price and I think they both have better components than the Toro you are looking at.
I buy from dealers. Only thing gas powered and or machinery I have bought over the internet is a McLane edger because nobody around here had a gas powered edger. I also capable of working on it if need be. When I lived in Sugarland I always dealt with SW Mower. But I have Snapper and SnapperPro mowers. Don't think they carry Hustler.

Just my .02

I don't think I understand, you said the ZT 2200 bothers you for towing but you recommend the hustler sport when according to the specs it has the same EZT transmission. :confused2: The 2800 is a better transmission?