Husqvarna cth173. A month of ownership. I'm fed up already!

rrockettman

Threads
  • / Husqvarna cth173. A month of ownership. I'm fed up already!
I've had my new Husqvarna cth173 ride on mower for 4 weeks now and had nothing but problems! The pre delivery inspection wasn't done properly so it was delivered without an English handbook, 4 other handbooks in 18 languages, and I don't speak any of them! I rang the supplier and they said they'd put one in the post. 3 weeks later the deck belt broke, I rang again. They said it wasn't covered under the warranty so I had to fork out over £50 for a new one, they posted it free with the manual. Once I read the manual, I realised it should have come with a Bioplug, for the cutting deck, also missed on the PDI. I rang them again, they eventually got back to me to say they'd put one in the post. I fitted the new belt this week and it was cutting fine, until today when one of the blades broke! Looks like a fatigue fracture. I wonder if that is covered under warranty? I spoke to the supplier, Abbey Garden sales, today and sent photo's of the broken blade, they'll forward them to Husqvarna for a claim. I just hope they pay out. All the years I had the old Honda HT3810 it never snapped a belt or broke a blade. This one is also supposed to collect the clippings but I have to unblock the chute every few mins because the grass is "too long" for the mower to handle. Any one else had any problems with theirs?
Russ.

Attachments

• IMG_4370.jpg
    IMG_4370.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 50

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get rid of you supplier, they sound worthless, only interested in money. Contact Husky directly and get their customer service involved. Let them know that you tried to solve your problem through this forum and were told to contact them directly. They don't like negative things posted on the Internet. Also the belt should be covered under warranty if less than 4weeks old. Let us know what happens.

rrockettman

Threads
It's been over 4 weeks since this happened. Husqvarna have agreed to replace the blade under warranty, but I'm still waiting for it to be delivered. Really p1ssed off now as I've had a months holiday and no mower to sort out my now knee length 6 acres! There's a paddock that I've not even been able to mow at all this year due to either rain or no mower. I bought this to get rid of any mowing problems, not add to them!

Tater

Threads
It's been over 4 weeks since this happened. Husqvarna have agreed to replace the blade under warranty, but I'm still waiting for it to be delivered. Really p1ssed off now as I've had a months holiday and no mower to sort out my now knee length 6 acres! There's a paddock that I've not even been able to mow at all this year due to either rain or no mower. I bought this to get rid of any mowing problems, not add to them!
For the last 25 yrs. or more, when I buy a mower I always buy an extra set of blades... Mainly so I could sharpen them when I wanted to instead of when they had to be sharpened, but also to have extra blades in case of a mishap... That's just me though...
Have a good one...Tater...

rrockettman

Threads
I got tired of all the excuses Abbey Garden Sales had to offer. 6 weeks and still no blade. They told me they'd sent one first class mail three weeks ago and another by next day courier last week. Neither arrived.
Husqvarna eventually got back to me with a contact no. I rang it, told them the story and received a blade in the next days post. That's all I needed.
I finished mowing the fields today and all is well.
Thanks all for your replies.
Russ.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad to hear it, but what about the belt?

rrockettman

Threads
Four years on and still having a lot of deck problems.
I went through a belt every time I used it in may/june, 3 in all, the latest one seems to be okay now. One of the deck belt wheels stripped a thread and needed a helicoil repair and now the spur gears in the r/h blade have broken and need a new set to repair.
I can't remember the last time I used it without a problem before finishing what I'd planned.
Everything else about the machine is fine, 95% of the year it sits in the corner of the barn looking pretty, it's the 15 days I use it that's the problem!!!

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are not alone.
That deck was a big mistake and gives nothing but grief.
I wish I could give you come encouraging words but their aren't any.
The one customer of mine that had one eventually tossed the deck and went to a std side discharge and bagger.
His ate belts , the deck shook violently when starting the blades which I believed was behind the belt failures.
I never condone tampering with safety devices but the only way to tame the belt appetite was to bypass the PTO engine kill circuit so he could get off and leave the blades running.
In fact once started he never turned it off till he has finished mowing and that had dropped the belts down to 4 a season which sounds excessive but he cuts a dozen small church cemeteries .
But as the belt is unique the cost was just too much so he now uses an up front Rider Pro articulated mower with the bio clip mulching deck.
Downside is he has to mow some of the cemeteries weekly in summer as it does not like long grass and he does not get paid for the extra mows as there was a contracted number of annual mows.
It looks like the entire CTH range has been dropped so your mower is now discontinued.
I would strongly advise either changing the deck or trading it in as a lot of the parts specific to this deck are NLA

Good luck.