BadBoy outlaw modification

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
well it cuts great i mow a soccer field for the little league with it and i run as hard as it will go and looks great

Yea the soccer field, that may be but I'd like to see the cut if it was Bahia grass or St. Augustine grass that was 5 or 6 inches tall at 11 or 12 mph and have a decent cut.

I don't believe any Lawn mowers are designed to mow grass at those speeds. I think these speed claims by Hustler, Dixie chopper and some others are just gimmicks to get people to there stores or dealerships.

scott47429

Threads
well i didn't say i was cutting that kinda grass all I'm saying is it cut the type of grass i have here and it will do it at 11 mph and it looks great but this isn't a post about who's mower will mow best at a high speed its about this guy wanting to speed up his bad boy

Tindal

Threads
I have a MZ6128 husky 28 hp 61 inch cut centipede that i cut at 10 mph and it looks great .

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would warn the OP that if his Bad Boy is still covered by a warranty to avoid any modifcations which would void said manufacturer's warranty. Also, all this discussion about speed...I'm new to ZTR's, but I would think there is a difference between a brand's quoted "top speed forward/reverse" and the fastest speed(forward/reverse) that it would go "with the blades engaged". Surely driving the spindles and cutting grass somewhat reduces the engines ability to produce maximum ground speed....doesn't it??? And to be absolutely sure that because the book says 12mph forward...I would get it on the street and have an automobile run beside me(I've yet to see a ZTR that actually had a speedometer on it) and see just how fast it REALLY goes.

tybilly

Threads
a wider seies drive belt ? and also you can ask a kind police officer to clock your speed

tomco

Forum Newbie
Threads
I want to speed up my outlaw. It does 12 mph but with the 36 hp Briggs I believe it could go faster? Does anyone know how to do this or if it can be done?

I'm no mechanic but once I had an older twin cylinder Briggs that was thought to be 18 horse power and the governor became loose or fell off .
My steppson was driving it(not the sharpest tack in the box) when i got him to stop, the muffler was cherry red ,and he had mowed the whole yard in 10 minutes when it should have taken 45 minutes,some days I think ,I should have left it and kept that mower for myself.
I think it could be done safely just use caution and go a step at a time , the raceing mowers do it.

demhustler

Threads
I want to speed up my outlaw. It does 12 mph but with the 36 hp Briggs I believe it could go faster? Does anyone know how to do this or if it can be done?

how fast you can cut - all depends on grass and ground conditions. experienced operator knows when to speed -up, when to slow down

for those, who don't have experience on 12-16 mph mowers, it hard to understand - sometimes you can, sometimes you can't cut full speed - 10 mph, 12, 15 etc. all depends on conditions
cutting property 100 times (3 years, 30\season) - 3x33=100) - you would already learn when to slow down

1. it should go 13-14 mph by BB specs (flat hard surface, spec tire pressure)
2. oulaw should have zt5400 trany (not pumps-wheelmotors combo)
zt5400 have variable displacement pumps and var. displ. motors inside trany - you can change settings on motor (gravely, bb outlaw) or add separate control ("gear shift" lever) - scag cheetah (16mph), husquarna pz-zt series (18mph) - pedal on the left side
don't speed-up tranny input pulley - they on the limit 3000 -3600 rpm, higher rpm will cause cavitation, and destroy it in no time
simpliest way, as been mentioned before - 26'' tires instead of 24. won't load hydraulics much. adjust deck to compensate rised rear

p.s. many big mowers, batwings, etc - have speed 18 mph or so - but that's different trany
pps. most people are able to find good use of higher cutting and transport speed, some - not : )
scag.ZT-5400_590B.jpg

Last edited:

demhustler

Threads
2. oulaw should have zt5400 trany (not pumps-wheelmotors combo)
zt5400 have variable displacement pumps and var. displ. motors inside trany - you can change settings on motor (gravely, bb outlaw) or add separate control ("gear shift" lever) - scag cheetah (16mph), husquarna pz-zt series (18mph) - pedal on the left side
View attachment 13306

pics - zt5400 on scag cheeta (var.displ. motor control arm) & on gravely pro-turn (no contol arm, set position)

Attachments

• zt5400-scag-cheeta.jpg
    zt5400-scag-cheeta.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 43
  • zt5400-gravely.jpg
    zt5400-gravely.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 38

turbofiat124

Threads
I know this is an old thread but it's 3:45 in the morning and I am bored.

Could you replace the drive pulley with a smaller one and a larger one on the engine? I think I'm saying this right.

gainestruk

Threads
No that would be a bad idea, most all drives and pumps have an rpm limit, go over it and damage drive pump.