John Deere 14SB Bent Crankshaft??

JD14SB

Threads
I just purchased a used 14SB in very clean condition. $300. Looks almost new. I found that when I crank the engine over with the mower on its side, the blade wobbles. The blade-brake assembly sits on the crankshaft using some bearings. So the holder for the blade is wobbling due to run-out of the crankshaft. I haven't removed the blade, BBC, and whatever else to check the crankshaft run-out, but did make another measurement, at the tip of the blade. I used a dial indicator and the tip of the blade moves up and down a total of .027". So the tip blade is about 10" from the crankshaft. Would this equate to about .0027" of run-out of the crankshaft?? If so, how does one determine what is acceptable run-out or what the run-out would be? I've searched the internet, called JD, and no one can answer this. Although .027" of wobble at the extreme ends of the blade isn't a lot, I have vibration at high throttle with the blade stopped. So, a new crankshaft is around $120 which would put my investment at $420! So try to straighten it, do nothing, or spend the bucks. The other option is to part it out and since everything looks nearly new, I may be able to recover the $300. But then again, it's a really nice mower. I've used HR-214 Honda's for 29 years and thought of trying the JD. If anyone has some answers on run-out, straightening, if this mower is worth owning, etc that would be great. The engine is the Kawasaki FC-150V-CS00 with pressurized lubrication. No oil filter option present..

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Never tryed it but I have heard that a good hit with a big hammer and it will bend back in place. If it was mine I would give it try? I know you can't beleave everything you hear but I can't see what harm it would do. Also I don't like hammering on bearings.

JD14SB

Threads
I've thought about hitting it. I need to verify the true run-out, but I'm thinking .002 -.003"? Doesn't sound like much. The Kawasaki engine is so nice I don't know if I should shock the lower bearing sleeve? I assume the lower-end is sleeve and upper a ball-bearing?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
It has already had a good shot to the lower bearing, when it got tweaked....
Another in the opposite direction likely will not do any additional harm. A good smack and measure, followed by any additional needed... Post back with how close you get it... I should be easy to get it Very close to exact. :smile:KennyV