Can't start Kohler engine after it get's hot

cfhartman

Forum Newbie
Threads
can't start Kohler engine after it get's hot

We have two tractors at a cemetery were I volunteer to help out. Both tractors have Kohler Command 20 two cylinders engines. The one after you run it and it get's hot and shut it down you can't get it started again till it cools off. I have not been there when it happened so I don't know if there is any fire or what is going on. It seem unlikely that both coils would brake down at the same time. I had a coil go bad on one of them before but it run on one cylinder. any help anyone can give me will be appreciated

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it is hot it could be a valve sticking open until it cools...

jhwentworth

Threads
can't start Kohler engine after it get's hot

We have two tractors at a cemetery were I volunteer to help out. Both tractors have Kohler Command 20 two cylinders engines. The one after you run it and it get's hot and shut it down you can't get it started again till it cools off. I have not been there when it happened so I don't know if there is any fire or what is going on. It seem unlikely that both coils would brake down at the same time. I had a coil go bad on one of them before but it run on one cylinder. any help anyone can give me will be appreciated

You're going to have to see the problem before you can effectively troubleshoot it. First thing to try when it won't start is to pour a squirt of gas in the carb throat to see if the problem is fuel.

Couple of things to check:
Does the fuel-shutoff solenoid on the carb bowl "click" when the key is turned on?

For most Kohler Command engines the ground from the ignition switch that kills the spark is the only common point for both cylinders (some Commands use Smart Spark, which is a modules that varies spark advance by RPM) If neither cylinder is firing then try disconnecting the kill wire connection from the ignition switch.

dria

Threads
I do not know if it has any relationship but I had a car like that. It was an old Oldsmobile and it would not start once it was hot. Never did figure out what was wrong with it. Had to get rid of it in the end.

cfhartman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank's for the good advice. With the drought we have been having this year we won't be doing anymore mowing. I guess I will have to just run it for a wile. The gas into the carb. sounds like a very good idea. I hadn't given that a thought. and the sticking valve. All I have been thinking of has been compression or spark. So thanks guys.