Scag will run for a while, backfire and quit.

cm8870

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey everybody! My name is Chris and I am having issues with my Scag. It is a 36" walk behind with the 17hp. Kawasaki. I have owned 2 of these in the past for commercial use but this one I only use on my residence. I fire it up and it will run great for a while then give a slight backfire and quit. I can usually start it right back up, run for a while and quit again. I can do this about 3 times before I have to let it sit a while and then it will fire back up again and go through the same process. Seems like heavier the load on the engine, the sooner it will cut out. I changed the fuel filter and don't want to start throwing parts at it. Spark seems fine. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
It could still be the coil.
Water in the fuel.
Carburetion

Have you done anything to it apart from what you say..?

cm8870

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not yet. Wanted to get some ideas first. I'll try draining the gas and replacing it next. I once had to replace a kawasaki 17hp because of bad valve seat. Just hoping that is not it. Any help is appreciated as I am not good with small engines.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not yet. Wanted to get some ideas first. I'll try draining the gas and replacing it next. I once had to replace a kawasaki 17hp because of bad valve seat. Just hoping that is not it. Any help is appreciated as I am not good with small engines.

Make sure tank/lines are clean, and also clean out the carb, you can if you have a tester check compression.