Can't engage blades

jcoukos

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have a Scag 48" belt drive walk behind. The blades wouldn't engage after engaing the switch, replaced the switch, blades engaged but after 15 minutes the blades won't engage anymore.

Any ideas?

Thanks

JC

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First thing I would check is the ground connections.

jcoukos

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, the ground wasn't connected to the switch so I reconnected. Funny thing it engaged when I let it sit for a while, after I reconnected the ground it engaged as well. I'll see what happens in the AM

Thanks

JC

jcoukos

Forum Newbie
Threads
I changed the switch and the blades engage, however, after running the machine for over 1/2 hour the
blades will no longer engage. Have to turn it off, walk away, let it cool off and it will then engage.

Sounds like it has a bad temper!

Any ideas?

Thanks

JC

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Think you have to check those grounds again. Make sure everyone is bare metal to bare metal.

east_tn_emc

Threads
Is the switch getting HOT? If so, the clutch could be starting to go bad. As the coil on the clutch starts to go bad, the resistance (ohms) in it start to go down (ie...it starts to short out). This causes the current-draw (amps) going thru the clutch to increase. This will eventually burn out the switch and blow the fuse. I had the switch on my Turf-Tiger melt down before the fuse blew.

I am thinking that the clutch may be starting to go, so the resistance is getting low in the clutch coil, causing more current to be drawn and overheating your switch. Just a possibility.

jcoukos

Forum Newbie
Threads
Finally figured it out. The service manual states that the air clutch need adjustment every 500 hours (see dealer). Well I looked up the part on the internet and found that it has three gap areas need to be 0.015" apart. Made the adjustment (tightened a 1/4 turn on each), problem solved.