mtd yard man riding lawn mower front spindle rubbing deck

yogalady

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / mtd yard man riding lawn mower front spindle rubbing deck
Mtd yardman riding lawnmower, 42 in., 14.4 hp, 2001. When the lift lever is in highest starting position, the front spindle is touching the deck and cutting into it. I can lower it right away to a cutting position and it works fine. However, when it is touching, sparks are flying. Can I lower the deck so it won't touch in starting position?

Lawnranger

Threads
Did the front spindle touch the deck and cut into it when the mower was new? If not, something is worn and allowing excessive movement and you will have to find out what went wrong. Some pictures would be a great help.

Try this: engine off, parking brake set, deck height raised to maximum, blade belt disengaged - reach under the deck with leather gloves on and grab each cutting blade by the end and try to wobble it up and down to feel for movement. The blade should turn by hand but not have any up/down play. If there is play in the bearings or you hear grinding while turning the blade, you have a spindle bearing or bearings going bad and this could allow the spindle pulley to hit something causing the sparks. This is just a first guess based on the information you provided so make the checks, take some pictures and report back with your findings. You may have to remove the deck to check everything so be prepared to do some physical work.

yogalady

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for replying. I will check, but it may take awhile as mower is out in the country. Good ideas you gave me!
Did the front spindle touch the deck and cut into it when the mower was new? If not, something is worn and allowing excessive movement and you will have to find out what went wrong. Some pictures would be a great help.

Try this: engine off, parking brake set, deck height raised to maximum, blade belt disengaged - reach under the deck with leather gloves on and grab each cutting blade by the end and try to wobble it up and down to feel for movement. The blade should turn by hand but not have any up/down play. If there is play in the bearings or you hear grinding while turning the blade, you have a spindle bearing or bearings going bad and this could allow the spindle pulley to hit something causing the sparks. This is just a first guess based on the information you provided so make the checks, take some pictures and report back with your findings. You may have to remove the deck to check everything so be prepared to do some physical work.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have seen a few mowers that when the deck connection points get worn it allows the deck to wobble and the engine pulley will hit the deck causing sparks.

yogalady

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had the wrong name for the part in my first message. The engine pulley is rubbing against the raised deck when you raise the lift lever all the way in order to start the engine. The pulley is cutting into the deck which causes the sparks. This is totally bad. Is the pulley too low or the deck needs to be lowered. The pulley is not loose feeling. When you lower the deck to cut grass the mower works fine because the two are not touching. Any ideas on how to adjust deck or pulley?

Lawnranger

Threads
I had the wrong name for the part in my first message. The engine pulley is rubbing against the raised deck when you raise the lift lever all the way in order to start the engine. The pulley is cutting into the deck which causes the sparks. This is totally bad. Is the pulley too low or the deck needs to be lowered. The pulley is not loose feeling. When you lower the deck to cut grass the mower works fine because the two are not touching. Any ideas on how to adjust deck or pulley?

ILENGINE gave you some applicable advice and you need to check the items he mentioned. Also, check the engine pulley bolt for tightness. This bolt should not be loose and if it is, it could allow the pulley to slide down and touch the deck.

yogalady

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for replying. I will check the bolt.